Chief Casey Traces Cambridge History

Chief Casey Traces Cambridge History

Chief Janies M. Casey, of the Cambridge, Mass., Fire Department, was a speaker at the February meeting of the Cambridge Zonta Club at the Riverbank Court Hotel. He told of the history and development of the Cambridge Fire Department and related that his father had spent fifty-one years in the fire service of the city, serving as Chief from 1879 to 1905. An uncle of the Chief drove the first steam fire engine in Cambridge.

Chief Casey was appointed as a call fireman by Ex-Mayor Russell and became a permanent fireman in 1892. He was later promoted to Lieutenant and in 1905 became Assistant Chief under Chief Bunker who succeeded the elder Casey when the latter retired. The present Chief was appointed to head the Cambridge department in 1916 and has been Chief ever since. During his administration the department has been completley motorized. Chief Casey is a prominent member of the Fire Chiefs’ Club of Massachusetts, the New England Association of Fire Chiefs, and the International Association of Fire Chiefs.

No posts to display