Chief Cornoyer Awarded Medal
Chief Lawrence C. Cornoyer of the St. Louis, Mo., Fire Department recently received a gold medal from the Insurance Board of St. Louis for meritorious service performed in 1940.
The medal was given at the board’s annual dinner at which the Chief and Mrs. Cornoyer were guests of honor. A similar presentation will be made each year to the most outstanding member of the fire department, John J. O’Toole, insurance executive announced.
Appointed October 13, 1938, to succeed the late O’Boyle as head of the fire department, Chief Cornoyer increased the efficiency of the force by installing a two-way radio system in his official car which enables him to keep in immediate touch with the fire alarm office in City Hall and to direct equipment to any point in the city at a moment’s notice.
He was also instrumental in arranging for the recent purchase by the city of $75,980 worth of new equipment including six combined pumping and hose trucks and a 100-foot aerial ladder truck.
In 1940, the department under his direction rescued 125 persons from burning buildings as compared with seventyseven saved the year before. Four residents and one fireman died as a result of burns.
When sparks from electric drills used by repairmen set a huge steel gas storage tank ablaze in South St. Louis in June, the Chief climbed on the structure, directed operations and saw to it that enough water was directed over the steel plates to prevent their buckling while the inflammable gas was pumped off. Streets were cleared and crowds held back for two hours for fear of an explosion.
Since the first of the year, Chief Cornoyer, in cooperation with the Federal Bureau of Investigation, has mapped out a detailed program for the prevention of sabotage at plants in the city engaged in national defense work.
Inspections of all defense plants have been made by Deputy Fire Chiefs and Lieutenants, the location of fire plugs, and the best means of approach to factory buildings noted, foremen are required to familiarize themselves with details of buildings used under government contracts in their districts, and the
need for new fire plugs or alarm boxes is being checked.
He joined the department in 1907, and was made a Lieutenant in 1920 after he led a class of 450 privates in competitive examination. Three years later, top ranking in an examination of forty lieutenants led to his promotion to Captain. Mayor Bernard F. Dickmann appointed him Deputy Chief in 1933.