CHIEF ENGINEERS OF N. V. WATER SUPPLY.
According to the Journal of Commerce of April 3 Commissioner Dougherty has appointed Mr. Freeman chief engineer of this city’s department of water supply. In commenting on the appointment, the Journal of Commerce, after adverting to Mr. Freeman’s connection with former Comptroler Coler and his report on the subject of the wasted water in this city and, consequently, the non-necessity of going to any enormous expense in purchasing a new source of supply, points out that, after all, the new chief engineer “believed that Greater New York must begin to arrange for additional supplies of water, for the growth of the city is rapid, and Brooklyn has no margin. With this all persons who have studied the water problem agree. * * * It is imperative that the city should begin to provide for the vast requirements of the future.”
Commissioner Dougherty has appointed I. M. De Varona a chief engineer in the department of water supply, gas, and electricity of Greater New York at a salary of $7,000 a year. Mr. De Varona has been for many years identified with the water department of Brooklyn. He was born in 1843, and after a preliminary education in New York city attended the Rensselaer Polytechnic institute of Troy, N. Y., where in 1867 he graduated as civil engineer, completing his education in Europe. After some fifteen years of miscellaneous work, chiefly on railways, he devoted himself altogether to hydraulic engineering, in which he has been engaged for the last twenty-one years. As such, he is well known in Albany, N. Y., Newport News, Va., Jersey City, N. J., and other cities in which his services have been employed. He was appointed assistant engineer in the department of city works under Mayor Low’s first term in Brooklyn by Ripley Ropes, then commissioner of city works. Mr. De Varona, under Mr. Van Buren, then chief engineer of the department of city works, designed the works for the extension cast of Rockville Centre, and superintended their construction, with the exception of the Milburn reservoir. He was specially assigned by Mayor Low to purchase the land and water rights required for the extension from Rockville Centre to Massapequa.