Presented With Antique as Token of Esteem by Those Invited— Friends Remember Him for Party

THOSE summoned to attend Chief Evans’s going-out party at the Birmingham convention are one in agreeing that it was a most unique affair. Possibly it was the modern trend in society functions which resulted in the late hour for starting the affair or possibly it was the originality of Chief Evans, coupled with the fire department custom of answering “invitations” promptly and at all hours of the night without question, which postponed activities.

At any rate, the first invitation extended was sent via telephone somewhere between 2 and 3 o’clock on the morning of October 24. From that time on invitations were sent out as rapidly as the telephone facilities in the room and down in the hotel office could accommodate. As a result the last invitation was not extended until well on toward daybreak. It is quite a testimonial to Chief Evans’s social ability that out of all invitations extended but two of the invited failed to respond. As it was strictly a stag affair, there was a sneaking suspicion that female domestic interference had something to do with these two declinations.

(Continued on page 1050)

A Mule Has Been Added to the Official Family a group taken just after the presentation of the gift to Our Beloved President John M. Evans; left to right, Mrs. John M. Evans, the mule (age doubtful), George Morley and Chief John M. Evans.Mr. Morley astride his antique, and to the right, Paxton Mendelsohn.No Conventional Dress Was Necessary at Chief Evans’s Early Morning Court

(Continued from page 1046)

The method of presenting invitations was so effective that the invited did not know of the nature of the affair, even though they may have had forebodings of what was in store for them. The average time of response to invitation from the time the telephone receiver was hung up until the guest arrived was in the neighborhood of 2 minutes, 45 1/2 seconds. Naturally, those who had retired at the time of receiving the invitation had to do fast work in donning the proper suit for the occasion, with the result that many reported in rather ultra modern styles, such as business suits over pajamas, false teeth in hand, etc.

In the neighborhood of forty selected guests were received at this function and all were enthusiastic in their exclamations.

As a token of the deep esteem in which President Evans was held, and as a return courtesy on the part of those attending the party, a little return event was staged in his honor. On Thursday afternoon, promptly at 2 o’clock the entire convention assembled in the exhibit hall where Chief Evans was enthroned, surrounded by the Birmingham Fire Department band. After a few introductory remarks by Chief Jay Stevens, Chief Sherwood Brockwell was called on to make the address of presentation. He extolled Chief Evans, and praised the fine service which the Chief had rendered as President of the Association. As a token of the esteem in which the Chief was held, particularly by those attending his little party early in the morning, Chief Sherwood Brockwell made the presentation of a gift which was as unique as the reception. This gift, of true southern type, was made possible by members of the Detroit Delegation which included two of the honored guests at Chief Evans’s party. These were George Morley and Paxton Mendelssohn. It consisted of a well decorated species of mule well on toward the age of antiquity but which still bad sufficient strength left to navigate and carry its rider, George Morley, in the presence of the President.

Chief Evans accepted this little expression of good feeling from his friends, and after trying unsuccessfully to palm it off on his wife, agreed to take it to New Orleans with him. Up to the time of going to press no word has been received as to how far he had gotten on his journey toward the metropolis of the south, but with his executive ability Chief Evans may be depended upon to carry the task to completion.

The sketch herewith by Art Espey, which was suggested by an eye witness, together with the snapshots, show the party, and the gift to the Chief.

Johnson City, Tenn., to Erect Fire House—Bids were received in Johnson City, Tenn., for the erection of new fire department headquarters. Plans for the building have already been drawn, and specifications written.

With the Eastern Fire Chiefs’ Party on a Visit to Chimney Rock, Asheville, N. C. first group— O. E. Fearn, Supt. Machinery, F. D., Washington, D. C.; Chief James Duncan, Jr., Alexandria, Va.; Chief Maritn Quinn, Martinsburg, W. Va.: Walter Withers, American-La France Co., Washington; J. H. Green, Eureka Fire Hose Co., New York; I. H. Case, FIRE ENGINEERING, New York. Second group—Chief R. L. Smith, Pittsburgh; Chief J. J. Mulcahey, Yonkers, N. Y.; Chief Geo. W. Hedden, Buffalo, N. Y. Third group—J. E. Chalfant, Frank M. Watters and A. B. Brown, of the American-La France & Foamite Industries, New York.

No posts to display