Chief George M. Kellogg, of Sioux City
Chief George M. Kellogg, of Sioux City, Ia., has been at the head of the fire department of that city just 25 years. He became chief of the paid department in March, 1889, succeeding James Leach, after serving as a volunteer fireman for a number of years. The department in those days consisted of four companies of four men each. All they had to work with was an old steam fire engine and a few horse-drawn trucks. Chief Kellogg has had supervision of the development of the department to this day, including the erection of all the fire houses except the old central station, the increase of the force to 51 men and the purchase of thousands of dollars worth of apparatus. Chief Kellogg is the son of one of the trail-blazers of the mid-western country. He has been a resident of that section of the country for more than half a century, having been born in Dubuque, Ia., January 28, 1861. A lad of three years, he went with his father, George W. Kellogg, to break new ground in South Dakota. His father farmed near McCook, served as a member of the territorial legislature in Dakota and later was prominent for many years as a lawyer in Elk Point and in Sioux City. The son worked on the farm until he was 17, when he went to Sioux City and entered business life with the firm of Davis & Wann, dealers in agricultural implements. He shortly afterward became a volunteer fireman. Chief Kellogg’s only son is city police judge of Sioux City.