Chief Jewhurst, of Auburn
The efficient head of the Auburn, N. Y., fire department is Chief Edward J. Jewhurst, who joined the Logan Hook and Ladder Company No. 1 of the old fire department in the year 1869. He left the service in 1870 on account of absence from the city, and rejoined the department on October 1, 1872, as a member of Cayuga Hose Company No. 4, and was foreman of the company in 1877 and 1878. He was appointed first assistant chief on March 17, 1879, and was promoted to chief of department on August 24, 1880. He has been in continuous service nearly forty-four years, of which time he has been chief for thirty-six consecutive years. Chief Jewhurst is prominently identified with the International Association of Fire Engineers, which he joined at Long Branch, N. J., in 1885. He has attended all of the conventions but one since he was enrolled as a member. On account of illness he missed the convention at Providence in 1886. Chief Jewhurst has served on the board of directors in 1898 and 1899, and also on various committees and as state vice-president one year.