CHIEF JOHN H. CLAY.
John H. Clay, the veteran fireman and manufacturer of fire extinguishing appliances is a native of Philadelphia, and joined the United hose company, of Philadelphia, in 1864, having been a runner with that company for years. In the early part of 1865 he resigned from the United hose company and joined the Mechanic engine company; served active with the Mechanic for five years, when he was placed on the honorary roll, by virtue of having attended more than two-thirds of the fires occurring between 10 o’clock p. m., and 6 o’clock a. m. It was a law of the Mechanic engine company that no member be placed on the honorary roll unless he had made the necessary two-thirds of the fires. Chief Clay made twenty-two runs above the necessary two-thirds, and. although on the honorary roll, attended all fires with his company until the institution of the paid department in the city, and maintained his membership in the company until its dissolution in 1893. He has attended many thirdalarm fires that have occurred since the advent of the paid department. He served during the war of the Union in Miller’s (Pennsylvania) Battery, and is now a member of the Veteran Fireman’s and Volunteer Firemen’s associations and chief engineer of West Conshohocken, Pa., having been elected to the last named position for the fourth term. He is a well-known manufacturer of fire appliances, which have a reputation throughout the civilised world.