Chief Mulcahey, Candidate for Secretary, I. A. F. E.
Chief J. J. Mulcahey of the Yonkers, X. Y., fire department has thrown his hat into the ring and announced his candidacy for the secretaryship of the International Association of Fire Engineers for election at the coming convention in Toronto, in July. Besides being an up-to-the-minute executive. Chief Mulcahey has been identified with the fire department of Yonkers for many years. He joined the department in 1876, when the fire-fighting forces of the big municipality on the northern boundaries of New York City were entirely volunteer. In 1882 he became assistant chief, serving in that capacity during that year, and was again elected to that position in 1892, serving until 1894, when he became chief of the department. In 1896 Chief Mulcahey organized against considerable opposition the paid department of Yonkers, it consisting at that time of six men and the chief. The department now numbers 130 men. Chief Mulcahey has passed through the various stages of fire department development, from the hand-drawn hose cart to the horse-drawn apparatus and finally to the motor apparatus, the Yonkers department to-day being completely motorized. The fire alarm telegraph system has increased from the original 32 boxes to its present number of 270 with a modern and up-to-date central station at fire headquarters in the City Hall. Chief Mulcahey is working to-day on a plan of fire prevention inspection and is educating his officers and men up to a perfect system by instruction and talks on this important subject. By September of this year he expects to have his department organized for this work according to the standard of inspection set forth by the International Association of Fire Engineers. Chief Mulcahey has received a great number of letters endorsing his candidacy for the secretaryship and expects to make a good fight for election to that office. At the annual meeting held recently, of the seven companies comprising the fire department of Lyons, N. Y., County Clerk Charles A. Noble was elected chief engineer; James C. Paton, first assistant; George B. Gucker, second assistant, and Edward Baker, third assistant chief. Delegates chosen to attend the chiefs’ convention, to be held at Geneva in June, were Fred Legee, Claire Bevenoir, Edward Graff, William T. Hartman, John Forgham and C. A. Noble.