Chief of Milwaukee County Institutions
A new position has been created by the board of supervisors of Milwaukee, Wis., County, that of Fire Prevention engineer for the Milwaukee County institutions. These include the Asylum for Mentally Diseased, Hospital for Mental Diseases, Hospital, Muirdale Sanatorium, Blue Mound Sanatorium, Infirmary, Home for Children, School of Agriculture and Domestic Economy, Department of Outdoor Relief, and Dispensary.
A civil service examination by the Milwaukee County civil service board was held for the candidates for the position and the only one who passed was John J. Linehan, he averaging 90 per cent. The board was assisted by Chief Clancy of the fire department of Milwaukee and Frank Daniels, chief inspector of the Wisconsin fire prevention department.
The institutions mentioned are all situated in Wauwatosa, about five miles west of the city of Milwaukee, and house about 4,000 people. They have an adequate water supply which they receive from Milwaukee. They have a twelveinch main connecting to the sixteen-inch Milwaukee main, and also a fire pump. There is a fire station located on the grounds, with a White pumper and a motor ladder truck and with sleeping quarters above for members of fire department, who work about the different institutions during the day. There is a Gamewell alarm system with connections in all buildings.
Chief Linehan had been a member of the Milwaukee fire department for twenty-two years, resigning June 1, 1921, with the rank of captain. His portrait is presented herewith.