Chief Shepard Begins Fortieth Year of Service
Chief William C. Shepard, of Pittsfield, Mass., on June 1, began his fortieth year as a member of the Pittsfield department. Chief Shepard is well known in fire circles and is a member of the International Association of Fire Engineers. He joined the Housatonic Fire Company on June 1, 1877, and ran with the hose cart until December, 1899, when he was appointed an engineer of the steamer which had been bought by the city. In January, 1901, he was made a member of the permanent force, serving as an engineer. On June 19, 1905, he was promoted to captain, and on March 19, 1907, to deputy chief. He was named acting chief on July 7, 1911, and in December of that year was made permanent chief. The only members of the department to-day who were members when Chief Shepard was first made a permanent man are Bartley Cummings, who was appointed in 1896, and Michael Marshall, who was appointed in 1897. Mr. Cummings is now superintendent of the fire alarm system, and Mr. Marshall is stationed at the Morningside station. The department has nearly trebled in size since Chief Shepard became a permanent man. At that time there were only 11 others in the department. There are now 35. In 1900, 58 alarms were answered. In 1915, the number was 197.