Chief Stewart Retires
The Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company has owned and operated three large factories for the past sixty years at Ford City, Pa. The area covered by these factories is one mile long and a half mile wide. Until 1910, the fire department to protect the factories consisted of auxiliary brigades of employees from various departments.
In May, 1910, one of the factories was entirely destroyed by fire at a loss of approximately $5,000,000. After this factory was replaced by a larger and more modern factory, the company decided to place a full-time paid fire department in service.
The department was organized and placed in service on September 1, 1911, with Charles Stewart as Chief, which position he has held until the present time. Chief Stewart brought the fire department up to being one of the best industrial fire departments in the state. During 1919 he attended and completed the course prescribed for officers in the Fire College of the City of New York.
Since 1920 he has been an active member of the International Association of Fire Chiefs and of the Eastern Association of Fire Chiefs since it was organized, and has attended the major number of annual conventions of that association. For a number of years he was a member of the National Fire Protection Association.
Now at the age of sixty-five years, and after thirty years as head of the department, Chief Stewart is retiring from active service.