Chiefs Warn Citizens of Christmas Hazards

Chiefs Warn Citizens of Christmas Hazards

Many fire chiefs throughout the country took occasion to warn the citizens of their cities and towns of the fire hazards consequent upon the celebration of Christmas festivities. The various dangers from candles and flimsy decorations were emphasized, and the perils from the inflammable robes of the average impersonator of Santa Claus were especially stressed.

Fire Chief J. B. Gordon, of Newport News, Va., called attention to dangers incident to the accumulation of a great deal of excelsior, paper, sawdust and other materials, and warned all persons receiving Christinas goods, either in stores or homes of the danger from fire in accumulations of this kind. The caution was especially applicable to stores, he said, by reason of the large amounts of stock handled over the normal receipts and the added work in the stores making it hard to dispose immediately of the extra packing materials. Such accumulations, he pointed out. may result disastrously from the careless throwing of a cigaratte, not only creating a fire at the time but with the likelihood of interrupting the Christmas business by the destruction of materials and stocks.

No posts to display