Christmas Decorations Cause School Fire

Christmas Decorations Cause School Fire

While die principal, Miss Buckley, and one of the teachers. Miss Copter, of Public School No. 7, located at Bates and Davidson Streets. Indianapolis. Ind., were arranging the stage for a Christmas entertainment last Friday, a tire that might have caused serious loss of life occurred. The stage setting was a miniature house in a cedar tree grove formed of small limbs of Christmas trees. The roof was covered with cotton as well as the stage floor, which was to represent snow. It has since been learned that while Miss Buckley and the teachers were busy preparing the final touches, one of the children who had a lighted candle and couldn’t make it stand up tilted it so that the tallow would melt and fall off on the floor and make a foundation for the candle’s support. In doing this the cotton and the cedar limbs which were as dry as tinder took lire and in a second’s time the whole stage setting was ablaze. The children were, with the exception of a few who were helping the teachers, being held on the second floor until everything was in readiness on the third floor, where the celebration was to be held.

First Assistant Chief Hoyle, who responded wit’ll four engine companies, 1 truck and Hying squad, in speaking to Miss Buckley said : “Do you know that if these children had been hurt or lost their lives you would have been held responsible?” Chief Hoyle also told the principal how the tire chiefs all over the country were striving and trying to teach tire prevention in the schools. Miss Copter was slightly burned on the hands and face. The estimated loss was $150.

(NOTE—Attention is called to the editorial on the foregoing on page 1310—EDITOR.)

No posts to display