CIGARETTE AMONG RUBBISH CAUSE OF BIG BLAZE IN OLD BUILDING
Waterbury Has Large Fire on Silver Anniverttary of Its Biggeot Blaze— Threatened a Repetition of Conflagration
THE eternal cigarette, thrown among rubbish, again caused a fire in Waterbury, Conn., on February 2, which promised to become a serious conflagration before it was brought under control by Chief Henry H. Heitman and his men. The structure involved was a three-story brick affair, 100 x 300 feet in dimensions, and, as Chief Heitman expressed it, “the Lord only knows how old it was.”
In describing the blaze, Chief Heitman writes : “This fire started at the top of the second story, connecting with a long row of small apartments, In which about 30 persons were housed. The hour was 12:07 a. m., and every one was abed. The progress of the fire was such that it is a miracle that no lives were lost. One woman was hurt and taken to the hospital; one fireman was also taken to the hospital with an injured spine and several others sustained minor hurts. The building involved is three stories at the front, with a long, narrow two-story structure attached, housing the occupants of the apartments. Directly to the west of it is located a Roman Catholic church, with a very high steeple, and this was enveloped with sparks by the thousands during the height of the fire. To the east and adjoining the building on fire were a motion picture theatre and a legitimate theatre. To the rear was a mammoth storage plant, filled with all kinds of furnishings. Attached to this, and bulked with the rest was a block housing 40 families. Fortunately the night was not windy, for otherwise we hate to think what might have happened.
“This fire occurred, it almost seemed, in celebration of the silver anniversary of the greatest fire Waterbury ever had, on February 2, 1902, when the city was almost ruined by a conflagration which destroyed buildings and property to the amount of $2,000,000.”
The diagram and illustrations were furnished through the courtesy of Chief Heitman. Three alarms were sent in, the fire burning four hours. There were about 70 firemen in service, with six pumpers, three trucks and one straight hose. Five 8-inch three-way hydrants were used, spaced about 100 feet apart, with a pressure of 100 pounds. Ten hydrant streams were thrown, 2,500 feet of hose being laid, with nozzles of 1 1/4 inches. Smoke helmets and two “Y” connections were also utilized. The loss on the property, valuerd at $75,000, was estimated at $40,000, and on the contents, valued at $125,000 and consisting of printing machinery, etc., dress goods, candy and apartment furnishing, about $100,000.