CINCINNATI FIRE DEPARTMENT.

CINCINNATI FIRE DEPARTMENT.

THE BRIGHTON STEAM ENGINE COMPANY NO. 13

Is located on the north side of Bank street, opposite Whiteman. The Company was organised as a Hand Engine Company, April 1, 1863, and was changed to a Steamer Company, October 20, 1855. The Steamer of this Company is a first-class Latta, built by C. Ahrens and Company, of this city. It was placed in service July 1, 1869. The Hose Carriages were manufactured by B. Bruce’s Sons, of this city, and are good substantial structures. The Engine Hose is one of the largest in the city, and has in the same building Hook and Ladder Company No. 2. The Company is under the supervision of Captain U. S. Phares. He was bom in Cincinnati in 1832, and was one of the first members of the Brighton when the Volunteer Comp my was organized in 1849, but li ft the Company shortly afterwards, and did not return till in December, 1856, and was elected a Pipeman on April 1, 1857. When the Steam Company was organized he was changed to Reel Driver; on August 1, 1873, was promoted to Captain and given charge of the Company, shortly afterwards resigned and took his old position, but on January 21, 1879, was again made a Captain. Finlay Latta, Engineer, was bom in Ohio in 1818. He joined the Eastern Fire Company No. 6 in 1840, and remained a member till, in 1844, he resigned. On February 9, 1853, when the first Steamer was placed in service, he accepted the position of Engineer of that Steamer, which was located at first on Eighth street, between Central avenue and Plur.a street, and later he was transferred to the house, where Gift No. 3 is located, to ta«e charge of the new Steamer presented by the citizens to the city, and known as the Ci’izens’ Gift. On July 1, 1864. he left the Department ar d remained out for sixteen months, and then went to the Marion Engine Company No. 8 as Engineer ; from there he was, in December, 1867, transferred back to Gift No. 3, and in March 8, 1877, was placed in charge of the Steamer in th s Company. H. V. Roll, Assistant Engineer, was born near Cincinnati in 1815, was a Volunte r member of the Brighton in 1851, and remained a member till Paid Department was organized. In 1853 he was appointed a Reel Driver of this Company, in 1858 was changed to Pipeman, and in 1866 was promoted to Assis’ant Engineer. John Graham, Driver of Steamer, prefers that his record should not be known to the world. William -Henry McCloy, Reel Driver, was born in this city in 1844, and joined the Department on November 8, 1879, as Driver of Chemical Engine No. 20. for two months, and on January 22 last was made Reel Driver in this Company. Jesse Bennett and George Geiger are too modest to wish their names and records published.

ENGINE COMPANY NO. 19.

This Company is located on the corner of Vine and Charlton streets. Its organization took place on June 19, 1871. The Company’s Steamer is a third-class Lotta, built by C. Ahrens & Company. The two Hose Carriages are of the Standard make of B. Bruce’s Sons. When the Company was first organized, John Finn was Foreman, which position he held till in August, 1873, Captain Dennis Creed was made Captain. Captain Creed was succeeded by the present Captain, William H. Hadler. The House which the Company occupies is one of the best in the Department. Captain Hadler was born in Cincinnati in 1844, and was appointed an outside member of Hook and Ladder Company No. 1, in 1862, where be remained till; April, 1864, when he was transferred to No. 7 as Pipeman; when Captain Creed resigned, he was tendered his present position. Otto Raymond was born in Germany in 1830, and arrived in this country when two years old. He joined the Volunteer Department as a member of Independent Fire Company No.

2, in 1848. When the Company disbanded, in 1854 he held the position of First Director. In 1855 he was appointed an Engineer on Washington No. I, and remained there till in August, 1870, he was transferred to No. 16, and from there to this Company December, 1872. John R. Stewart, Engine Driver, was born in New York City on July 29, 1842. In December. 1874, he was appointed Reel Driver of No. 6, and two years later was transferred as Pipeman to No. 3, where he remained till, in 1877, he was injured and laid up for one month. After he recovered he was promoted to Captain of No. 17. He held this posilion for two years, and then was transferred here as Engine Driver of the Company. A. W. Roberts, Reel Driver, was appointed a Reel Driver on the Queen City, No. 6, in 1874, and two years later commenced acting as substitute. On January 1, 1877, he was appointed a running member of Hook and Ladder Company No. 1, and on September 1, 1879, he was made a permanent member of Engine No. 20. He came to this Company from the latter on May 27, 1880. (Stephen Burdge, Pipeman, was bom in Cincinnati iu 1828, and joined the Volunteer Department first as a member of the Jefferson. He joined the paid force in 1874, as Driver of Relief No. 2. Three years later he resigned. After being out of the Department six months, he was appointed a Driver on Engine No. 20, and transferred to this Company 011 October 29, 1879, and was for a short time on the Hook and Ladder located here on May 27, 1880, he was transferred to the Steamer Company.

ENGINE COMPANY No. 20.

This Company was organized as a Chemical Company on May 17, 1875, and on September 1, 1873, it was changed to a Steamer Company. The first Chemical Engine stationed here was a double Truck, built by the Champion Fire Extinguisher Company, of Louisville, Kentucky. When the Company was organized there was only one man here besides Daniel Twohig, who was Captain. On April 15,1877, Cagtain Twohig was succeeded by Pius Chambers, the present head of the Company. The Steamer now in use here is an Ahrens, and was placed in service September 1,1875. At the latter date the Company was also increased to five men. Captain Pius Chambers was b irn in S imerset, O., in 1819, and joined the Cincinnati Volunteer Dcpartnv nt on October 8, 1837, as a member of Relie Fire Company No. 2. He was a Director in that Company for 14 years, and when the paid Hand Company was organized he was appointed a Captain March 28, i860. He remained there as a Captain till April 13, 1877. He was one of the first men sworn into the Paid Department. Jacob G. Hirst, Engineer, was born in Cincinnati on March 7, 1832, and joined this Department in May, 1873, as Engineer of No. 14. He held that position till September 1, 187s, when he was transferred to this Company. E. C. Roberts, Pipeman, was born in this city in 1848, and in 1869 was appointed a running member of No. 13. Two years later he was promoted to Captain of that Company, which position he resigned two years later, and was transteried to No. 14 as Assis ant Engineer, and later as Pipeman. On September 1, 1875, he was placed here. John Tobin, Engine Driver, was born in Ireland, in 1848. In May, 1877, he became a Driver of Hook and Ladder No. 4, where he remained till sent to this Company. John F. Dalton, Reel Driver, was born in this city in 1850, and on May 28, 1880, he was appointed to his present position in this Company.

CHEMICAL ENGINE COMPANY NO. I.

This Company was first located at Cumminsvilie, where Engine Company No. 201s now. From there the Engine was transferred to the House of Gift Engine Company No. 3 in September, 1879, Milton Campbell acting as Captain, and Charles Van Hart as Driver. The Company was located at this House on Vine street between Court and Canal, on May, 1880, where No. 5 was formerly, that Company’s Captain, John Pohlman, being transferred here to take charge of this Company. The Engine is the same as described in the sketch of Engine Company No 20. Captain John Pohlman was born in this city in 1844, and joined Engine Company No. 5 as Pipeman, while Godray Ludwig was Captain of that Company. From there he was transferred to No. 10, where he was for four months and resigned, remaining out of the Department till he was appointed the successor of Captain Lee Cannon, on Gift Company No. 3. He remained there till May I, 1880, when he took charge of this Company. Peter Poland, Driver, was born in 1852, in Cincinnati, and on November I, 1878, he joined Hook and Ladder Company No. 2. On November 6, 1879, he was transferred to the Chemical as Driver. Peter Purcell, Pipeman, was bom in England in 1855 and joined this Department as a member of this Company, Apnl 28, 1880.

HOOK AND LADDER COMPANY NO. I

Is located in the same House with Gift Engine Company No. 3, occupying the hall of the lower story of that large and handsome House. The Volunteer Company of this name, dates back among the earliest in the city. The old Company was re-organized on May 28, 1853. The Hook and Ladder Truck was built by B. Bruce’s Sons, and is one of the best owned by the corporation. Captain M. L. Campbell was bom in Kentucky in 1844, and joined this Department as a running member of this Company in 1870. After 18 months of service there, be was transferred to Steamer Company No. 13, as Reel Driver, and was in 1874 promoted to Captain. In May, 1877, he was transferred to Gift No. 3, and on April I, 1880, was given charge of this Company. G. W. Ford, Pilot, was bora in New York in 1832. In 1854 he became a running member of Engine Company No. 1, and remained there till in 1864 was made a permanent man in this Company. Morris Hilhurger, Truckman, was born in Cincinnati in 1847, and joined the force in 1876, holding first a position on Relief No. 2, and in 1878 was promoted to Captain of that Company. After serving 19 months in this capacity, he was transferred to this Company as Truckman. Samuel Oakes, Truckman, was bom in Cincinnati in 1852, and was appointed a watchman on No. 14, in 1870, and in 1877, was transferred to this Company as Truckman. J trees W. Davis, Driver, was born in Cincinnati, in 1828, and on November, it, 1856, was made the Driver of this Hook and I .adder, and has held that position since. A. Baccioco, Tiuckman, was born in Cincinnati, on October n, 1855, and in December, 1859, was appointed member of this Company. John O. Keels, Truckman, received his appointment July 1, 1879; he is a native of this city. John Schuler, Truckman, was first a running member of this Company, till July 1, 1880, when he was made a permanent man. He was bom in Cincinna’i in 1849. H. Schuster was born in this city in 1855. On September t, 1879, he was a running member of this Company, and on July 1, 1880, changed to permanent. A. Cramer, Truckman, was born in Cincinnati in 1854, and on March 15, 1880, was app inted a running member of this Company, and on July 1, 1880, changed to permanent.

HOOK AND LADDER COMPANY NO. 2.

This Company was organised as a paid Company in December 28, 1861. The Company is located in the same House with the Brighton Engine Company No. 13. The Hook and Ladder Truck is one of B. Bruce & Sons build. It is a very hannsome piece of workmanship, being splendidly finished. J. N. Doran, Foreman, was born in Cincinnati in August, 1847. He is the son of John Doran, the popular First Assistant Engineer, when the Paid Department was organized. The son inherits all the good qualities of the father. He joined this Department in April, 1874, as a Pipeman on the Niagara No. 13. Previous to that time, he was a running member of Hook and Ladder Company No. 2. In April, 1878, he was transferred to Hook and Ladder Company No. 2, as Trackman, and in May of the same year was promoted to For-man During the war he distinguished himself In the 139th Ohio and 91st Indiana Volunteer Infantry. Jeremiah Bray, Driver ot Truck, was born in D laware In 1843. In 1863, he was appointed a Pipeman In Westein No. 14, and on March 6, 1866. was tranferred to the Jrffeison No. 5, and remained there for twelve years. In 1878 he was changed to the Miles Gr. enwood No. 12, and from there transferred to this Company in May, 1878. William H, Shaddinger, I ruckman, was born in Cincinnati, in 1833, and was from 1851 a member of the Deluge Independent No. 2, remaining there till the Company disbanded. In 1878 he was appointed a Truckman on Hook and Ladder Company No. t, and July t, 1880, was transfened here. Henry C. Hug, running Truckman. well-known as the Senator, was bom in this city in 1844. and in 1873 was appointed Driver on Chemical No. t. After a short time he left the Departm nt, but soon returned, and in September, 1878, was appointed a member of this Company. Fred. Mountel, running Truckman, was born in Cincinnati, March 18, 1858. In 1877 he became a member ol this Company. He is a business man, but always on hand promptly in case of fire. William Pharis, running Trackman, was born in Carlton. Ky., in 1855, and came here when a child. He was appointed a member of this Company, March 12, 1876. He is a carriage trimmer by trade. James Walsh, running Truckman, was born in Ireland, in 1829. In 1854 he was a member of Hook and Ladder Company No. I, and was there for twenty years. In 1874 he left the force, but returned to the same Company in 1878, and on July 1, 1880, was tranferred here.

HOPE HOOK AND LADDER COMPANY NO. 3.

This Company occupies ihe Engine-house on the corner of Eastern avenue and Scott street, jointly with Engine Company No. 18. This Company was organized August 1st, 1871. The apparatus in charge ot this Company is a one-horse Hook and 1-adder Truck built by B. Bruce’s Sons, of Cincinnati. The only man who belongs to the Company solely is Joseph Allen, who drives the Track, has full charge of all the surveys. He was born in Cincinnati, in 1840, and was appointed a Driver of the Reel belonging to Engine Company No. 18 in 1874. The following year he was promoted to Assistant Engine r, and in 1877 was made Driver of tills Truck.

HOOK AND LADDER COMPANY NO 4

Is located on the corner of Vine and Ch irlton streets, in the same House wi h Engine Company No. 19. The apparatus consists of a one-horse Ladder Truck, built by B. Bruce’s Sons, of Cincinnati. The first • man who had charge of this Truck was Arthur Brackett. In 1877 he was succeeded by Theodore Slocum, after him came in succession Jessie Collins, John Tobin, Stephen J. Burdge, and the present one, Dennis Creed. Mr. Creed, who drives this Track, and has sole charge, was born in Ireland, in 1826, and came to America in 1849. He joined the Volunteers in 1850 as a member of the Jefferson No. 5, and remair ed there till that Company disbanded. When the paid force was organized he was made a permanent man in the same Company; later he was transferred to No. 19 as Reel Driver, and in 1873 promoted to Captain, which position he resigned May 27, 1880, and took his present position.

WASHINGTON HOOK AND LADDER COMPANY NO. 5

was organized November i, 1877. It is located in the same house with Engine Company No. ra. The Truck is a one-horse Hook and I-adder Truck built by B. Bruce’s Sons, Cincinnati. The Company are composed of two men, Edward McLaughlin, Driver, and John Vettor, Pilot. Mr. McLaughlin was bom in this city in 1845, and was appointed a member of Engine Company No. xa, June 25, 1876, and November 1, 1877, was placed on this Truck. John Vetter was born in Switzerland in 1831. He came to this country in 1847, and joined the Union Engine Company No. 9 in 1848 as a Volunteer. After that organization disbanded in 1853 he remained with the Paid Company as a running man till August, 1856, when he was made a permanent man. On January 8, 1861, he was made a Pilot of Hook and Ladder Company No. 2, and transferred to this Company on November 2, 1877.

CINCINNATI FIRE DEPARTMENT.

0

CINCINNATI FIRE DEPARTMENT.

WESTERN ENGINE COMPANY NO. 14,

Is located on Fifth street, between Smith and Mound streets. It was organized as a Hand Engine Company, April 1, 1853, and as Steam Company, December 1, 1854. The Engine is a second class Latta Engine, weighing 7,135 pounds, and is a single reciprocating verticle Engine; cylinder 10 inches in diameter, with 7 3/4 inches stroke; double-acting pump, 6 inches in diameter, 7 3/4 inches stroke. When working at full capacity, 315 revolutions per minute, discharges 597 gallons per minute, raising steam from cold water in 3 1/2 minutes. It was placed in service in December, 1870. The Volunteer Company, of which the present organizais a successor, and known as the Western Independent Fire Company, was organized in 1840. The first Hand Engines of the Company were known as the Emigrant and the Far West, and the Hose Carriage was called the Hope. The apparatus was built by John Agnew, of Philadelphia. Two years after the first organization, viz., 1842, the two first Engines were displaced by two new ones, built by Hunniman, of Boston, and called the Conqueror and the Victory. These two last remained in service till the Volunteer Company disbanded. The first Steamer the Company had was the first one built in Cincinnati, being transferred from the Gift to this Company. This Steamer was known as the Joe Ross, and was in use in the Company lor six years. Later, the Niagara, built by Shawk, was placed here. Alter the latter, the A. B. Latta was transferred from No. 4 to this Company. The last fire the A. B. Latta did service at was in Pike’s Opera House, on March 22, 1866, when both the Steamer and the Company which manned it did noble service. July 1, 1866, the Company received a propeller Steamer, Latta’s patent, built by Lana & Bodley. The present Company is composed of the following: Hermann Placke, the Captain, was born in Cincinnati in 1844. He joined the Department in April, 1868, as a Pipeman on Engine Company No. 9. One year later he was transferred to No. 17, as Driver of the Steamer, and after being there a short time was transferred to No. 12 as Reel Driver: later, he returned to No. 9, and on March 19, 187s, was transferred to this Company as Pipeman. On March 1, 1878, his faithful service in the Department was recognized by his promotion to the Captaincy of this Company, which position he has since held. George C. Wisberg, the Engineer, is a son of Assistant Engineer Wisberg, one of the Pioneers of the Company. He was born in Cincinnati, in 1857, and learned his trade as machinist in the shop of the Ahrens Manufacturing Company, entering there In June, 1875, and remaining until September, 1879, when he was given the position of Engineer of this Steamer. He is a young and promising mechanic. John Miller, the Assistant Engineer, was born in Cincinnati in 1842. He joined Hook and Ladder Company No. 1, as a running member in 1874. After holding that position one year, he was transferred to No. 14 as a Pipeman, and in 1877 was promoted to Assistant Engineer. During cur last war, he served with honor to his country in the 34th Ohio Infantry. The Driver of the Steamer in this Company is H. C. Davies. He was born in Warren County, O., in 1852, and joined the Cincinnati Department on July 20, 1879, being stationed in this Company. In his youth he was a member of the Washington Hand Engine Company, of Lebanon, O. H. B. English, Reel Driver, was bom in Hamilton County, O., in 1823. He is one of the oldest Reel Drivers in the Department, and has served for forty years in this Company, first as a Volunteer and later as a paid man. Few men in any branch of bu iness have been as faithful to their post as he has been. W. E. Hudson, Pipeman, was bora in Cincinnati in 1853. On January 7, 1875, he joined this Department as an Assistant Engineer, acting first on Relief No. a for one year, when he left the force, but returned on May 1, 1877, and was appointed a Pipeman in the same Company. From there he was transferred to this Company on October 20, 1879. John K. Bachelder, Pipeman, first saw the light of day in Cincinnati in 1837. He joined the force on August 1, 1872, as an outside Pipeman in this Company, and on the following year was made a permanent man. On March 19, 1875, he was transferred to No. 9. This Company he left on November 28, 1875, and did not return to the Department till November, 1877, when he took the position of an outside man on Hook & Ladder Company No. 1. On March 1, 1878, he was again made a permanent man and stationed with this Company.

HOSE COMPANY, NO. 15,

Is located on top of Mount Adams, so as to be able to enjoy the gentle zephyrs wafted over Cincinnati. The apparatus guarded by this Company consists of one miniature Hook and Ladder Truck, and one Hose Reel. This Company was first organized as a Hand Company on February 15, 1868, there being at that time stationed here one man and a Hand Engine, Charles Gilman being the man. The citizens living there assisted in case of file. Mr. Gilman was succeeded by Henry Wheatley and John Wilson. The latter w.as given charge on September, 1879, and H. E. Payne was placed with him as Driver of the Hose Carriage, Mr. Wilson holding the position of Captain. The Horse Hose Reel was placed here at the later date. On August 31, 1880, Mr. Wilson was removed; E. M. Davis was given the position of Driver, and H. E. Payne promoted to Captain. Mr. Payne was born in Cincinnati in 1844, and joined the Department in 1864, as a member of Engine Company No. 1, and from there was transferred to this Company. E. M. Davis, the Reel Driver, was born in Ohio in 1826; was a Volunteer member of the Western Independent Fire Company, as early as 1842, remaining a member till the Company disbanded in 1852. In 1856 he was appointed a Pipeman, and later a Watchman. In 1871, he was made Assistant Engineer of No. 17. In May, 1878, he was transferred to No. 4 as Pipeman, and on August 31, 1880, was transferred to this Company.

WALNUT HILLS ENGINE COMPANY, NO. 16,

Is located on the corner of McMillan and Copeland streets. It was organized as a Steamer Company July 1, 1870. The Engine is a second-class Latta, and is a single reciprocating vertical Engine; 10 inches in diameter of cylinder, and 7 3/4 inches stroke; double acting pump, 6 inches diameter, 7 3/4 inches stroke. When working at full capacity, at 315 revolutions per minute, it discharges 597 gallons of water, raising steam from cold water in 3% minutes. Was placed in service July 19, 1870; weighs 7,000 pounds. The Hose Carriage is one of B. Bruce’s Sons make. The Engine House is one of the new ones, and is in every respect neat, comfortable and even handsome. When tae Company was first organized, the Foreman was whatis called an outside man, till in 1874 the Captains were made permanent. The first Foreman of the Company was Charles H. James, who was succeeded by George H. Mahl, who was a permanent man and took the title of Captain. He was succeeded in 1878 by Captain L. J. Ernst, who is now in charge of the Company. Captain Ernst was born in Cincinnati in 1845. His first connection with the Department was as a running member of Hook and Ladder Company No. 1, in 1870. He left the force in 1872, but returned in 1873 to the same Company as a stationary man. In 1878, he was promoted to Captain, and first given charge of Engine Company No. 10, and later in the same year transferred to this Company. Theodore Chambers, the Engineer of the Steamer was born in New Lancaster, O., in 1823. He joined the Cincinnati Department as a Volunteer on November 3, 1838, on Relief No. 2. He was the last President of that wellknown Company. In 1853, he was made a Captain ot Engine Company No 2, it being at that time made a paid Company. In 1862 he was promoted to Assistant Engineer of the Fire Department, which position he filled for seven years, till in 1869 he left the Department. In 1872 he was tendered the position of Engineer of this Company, which he accepted and has since filled. William Merren, Reel Driver, was born in England in 1830, and came to America in 1848. He became a member of this Department on August 1, 1870, as a member of this Company, where he has since been. William Tousley, Engine Driver, was born in Cincinnati in 1825. He joined the Department as a Volunteer in 1844, as a member of Washington Engine Company, No. 1. In 1847, he left that Company and went over to No. 8, remaining in that Company till it disbanded. On June 12, 1859, he was appointed a Driver on the Fame Company No. 4, and remaining there till on April 2, 1871, he was transferred to this Company. G. Mahl, Pipeman and Acting Assistant Engineer, is a Frenchman by birth. He was born in 1829, in the town of Alsas, France. When a boy, he came to America and joined the Volunteer Company No. 9, in 1846. He was connected with this Company till it disbanded. In 1857, he was appointed an outside Pipeman on Engine Company No. 5, and made a permanent man in i860. When this Company was organized in 1870, he was transferred here.

STORRS STEAM ENGINE COMPANY, NO. 17.

This Company is located in a handsome brick building, on the corner of German and Neave streets. It was organized as a Steamer Company on July 15, 1871, and Captain John Moser was first in charge, was succeeded by Augustus Wickemeyer, Martin Cronen, Daniel Gallagher, John R. Stewart, and the present Captain, H. G. Shiner. The apparatus of the Company consists of one Steamer and two Hose Carriages. The Steamer, a second-class Latta built by C. Ahrens & Co., is known as the Geo. C. Sargent, and was placed in service on September 1, 1871. The Hose Carriages are of Bruce’s Sons build. The Company consists of the following gentlemen: H. G. Shiner, Captain, was born in Indiana in 1833, and began his career as a Fireman in 1848 as a volunteer member of Eagle Fire Company, acting also in that Company as First Director of the Hose Company. When the Company was changed to a paid one he remained as a Pipeman, and after two years’ strvice in that capacity, was changed to a call man, remaining as such till 1857, when he was tran-ferred to the Western No. 14 as a Pipeman. In 1861 he left the force and went into the army to fight for the glory of his country, where he gained the title of Captain. He remained in the army till the war was over. He then returned to the Department, and was appointed on March 1, 1866, Driver on the Western No. 14. On July 20, 1879. he was Iransferred to this Company, ar.d on December 8, 1879, was promoted to Captain. C. Burnhagen, Engineer, was born in Germany in 1837, and came to America in October, 1848. He was appointed a call member of the Jefferson Engine Company No. 5, in 1858, and remained there till i860, when he left the force for about two years, and returned to the same Company. In August, 1862, he was made Assistant Engineer, which position he held till in 1867 he was changed to Pipeman and soon after promoted, first to Assistant Engineer, and in January, 1874, to Engineer, and given charge of this Company’s Steamer. W. W. Wagner, Driver of Steamer, was born in this city in August, 1839. His first connection with the Department was as a member of Engine Company No. 13, From there he was in October, 1875, transferred to this Company. John Aufdemkamp, Driver of Hose, is a Hoosier by birth, being born in Lawrensburg, Indiana, in 1847. He was first a Pipeman cn Engine Company No. 9, being appointed to that position January 10, 1880. From there he was transferred to this Company June 27, 1880. David O’Brie n, Pipeman, was born in Ireland in 1830, and moved to America in 1849. He was appointed a member of this Company in May, 1878, this being his first Fire Department experience.

RELIABLE STEAM ENGINE COMPANY, NO. 18,

Is located on the corner of Eastern Avenue and Scott street. It was organized on June 19, 1871. The Steamer in use in the Company is a third-class Latta. It was placed in service March 19, 1877. The two Hose Cariiages are similar to the rest in the Department, being built by B. Hiuce’s Sons. John Barr, Captain of the Company, was born in Boone County, Ky., on September 28, 1842. In 1872 he was appointed a Pipeman on No. 16, and the same year was made a Reel Driver, and on November 21, 1873, wns promoted to Captain of that Company. The following year he left the Department, but on December, 1879, he returned to take the position of Captain of this Company. Isaac Ackley, Engineer, was born in Cincinnati in 1833. He is a merchant by trade, and has filled bis present posi tion in this Company since May, 1880. Joseph Ghairdelle, Driver of Steamer was born in 1850 in Cincinnati. He was first a member of Engine Company No. 1, frem January, 1880, till a short time ago he was transferred to this Company. Benjamin Shaefer, Reel Driver, was first a member of Gift Engine Company No. 3, being therefrom 1862 till 1871. From there he was transferred to No. 18, where he remained till 1874, and left the force. In May, 1880, he was reappointed, and was placed here. Frank Hen, Pipeman, was born in New York in 1838. He joined the Department in 1867, as a member of Engine Company No. 4. He remained there till he was transferred to this Company in 1878, as Pipeman.