City and bicinity.
Jersey City Department.
On onday last the annual inspection of t sey City Fire Department was made by the M heads of departments and Fire Commissioner 9 A. M. the party assembled at headquarte was found to consist of His Honor Mayor Hopper; John Mullins, President of the Bo Finance; F. J. Crandall, President of the Public Works; Matthew Monks, President of Board of Police ; Ch irles L. Krugler, Preside the Board of Fire Commissioners; John Mcl ough, James Meehan, Edward O’Donnell, M Windccktr and Simeon Ayres, Fire Commit ers ; Chief Coyle ; James B. Doremus, Clcik Boaid, and Chiet Benedict of Newark. Caj being in readiness, the procession sta ted ca attended strictly to business, the inspcctlo close, and not concluded until 7 P. ment, the Companies being given in ti which they were visited:
ENGINE COMPANY NO. I
is located on Warren street, near Morgan, in 1 part of the city, where the surroundings ai specially pleasant. The house is srr.al), K and uncomfortable both for mi n and horses. stalls are but a short dis’flrce from the appan but are put in sideways, compelling the iu to back out. The Engine was made by Clap Jones in 1870, is still in good condition, showing cellent care on the part of the Company do the lender and Horses. A trial at hitching made, the Company, with three 1 ten only, ready for die street in sixteen seconds. Th do be ter, but the crowd of visitors in such CFM quarters frightened the horses.
ENGINE COMPANY NO. a
lies in Morris street, near Warren. This Is ahouse, kept as neat and clean as wax. its de. dor s and neatness refl-c ing credit upon the f pany. The Engine is an Amoskeag. built in stalJ5 face to the 1rcit. Three men hitched twelve seconds, but can do it In ti e. The Iii were frightened, and came up to the po’e In and trembling at being asked to show off befo: many distinguished persons.
HOOK AND LADDER COMPANY NO.
occupies elegant quarters at the corner of Gr; . nd Van Vorst streets. The house is Lrge t roomy, and wears an air of neatness and comi which is pleasant to witness. T he stalls face front, giving the horses a run of about seventy fi Wadleigh & Thurston, of Jersey City, built -Truck, which can ies, “however, a set of the v known Bangor ladders. The time consumed* hitching up was twelve seconds, the h rses br* frightened, and losing two or three seconds.
ENGINE c’MPANY NO.3
na an eiegan nouse in ercer StrCcL, ncr `j The men manifest exceflent riste in the adornme of their quarters, the wal!s being hung wih pi rates, and many htUe knick.knacks lying arouri as though rheir lady friends took an t welfare. In the front f the bunk.reoin,/ gymnastic apparatus, which was muoh a’ tha ?llito?L Tb, Msy.r rook aara ot tal bar, the Police Commissioner tried his the rowing machine, while President lglerj tiearly pulled himself in two on the backjtchimg machine. The Mayor would make a jd gyjmnastif he didn’t kick out so loosely with ilegs. An Amosjceag Engine, built in 1873, and ler, occupy the first floor, the stalls for |cs being in the rear, and facing to the front, the having a run of fifty-four feet. On the ig trial the Company made it in nine seconds tape men.
ENGINE COMPANY NO. 4
;d in First street, near Coles. The house is jood one, and the Company is very com⅜ quartered. The Engine is a third-class built in 1867, and was formerly run by kntcer Department. In rear of the appa/e the stalls, from which the horses have to sake a half-turn and run forty-five feet to e polt? Their time in hitching was fourtonds.
I ENGINE COMPANY NO. 5
1 Sixth street, near Coles. This is a small , originally built for a Hose Carriage-house, he Steamer and Tender are crowded very for room. The stalls are sixty-five feet in f the apparatus, but partly cut off from it by Reeling partition wall, thus making a bad and jus run for the horses. The Engine was Clapp & Jones, in 1873, and is regarded jf the very best in the Department. Upbrooms are quite comfortable for the jew house for this Company seems leir time in hitching up was eight men only being engaged in the
ENGINE COMPANY NO. 6
comfortable house in Henderson near Twelfth, which is kept neat and clean good order by the men. They have a l-class Amoskeag Engine, built in 1870, and tr. The stalls face the front, and are forty-five the pole. Their time in hitching was ten (ds. Several points in the arrangement of the were noted by the Commissioners for im[rnent
HOOK AND LADDER COMPANY NO. 2
ied in Ninth street, near Grove, in a fine use, where there is an abundance of room, id air for both men and horses. Their of the old Hartshorn pattern was built by .everich, of New York, in 1873, and contains modern improvements. The stalls are in !ar, lacing to the front, giving the horses a f seventy feet. Time of bitching, eleven &.
ENGINE COMPANY NO. 7
es a large double house, on Summit avenue, St. Paul’s. The house was built in the old nteer days, and was intended to contain an Fire Department. One side is now occupied Amoskeag third-class Engine, built in 1869, he’other side by the Tender. The stalls are fiear, the Tender-horse facing to the shafts, the Engine-horses standing horizontal to the , but not required to back out. They move ight forward and then make a square turn, tr »itne in hitching was eleven seconds, but they do considerably better. Up-stairs there are very large rooms, one being occupied as a -room, and the other as a sitting and recrearooin. With horses at the pole, three men led up in four and a-half seconds.
1 HOOK AND LADDER COMPANY NO. 3
m Webster avenue, near Franklin street. Their is a good one, in good condition, and indies that the men take an interest in their business. ! S Truck w as built by C. E. Hartshorn, in 1870, ; originally a Hand Truck. It has been ⅜, ar.d now has all the modern improve. ; juding horses. The stalls face the front, 1 giving the horses a fair run of seventy feet. `time ,f the Company in hitching up, eleven seconds. There is also in the house a small Hose Jumper, which is used for small fires in the neighborhood with hydrant pressure.
ENGINE COMPANY NO. II.
occupies a very good house in South street, near Central avenue. Their Engine was built by Clapp & Jones in 1864, and had her boiler rebuilt in 1874. The house is comfortably arranged and in good condition. The stalls are in the rear, placed crosswise to the apparatus, so that the horses have to back out. Three men hitched up in eleven and a-half seconds.
ENGINE COMPANY NO. 9
occupies a new, large and handsome house at the cornerol Bergen and Duncan avenues. It has all the modern improvements, and the men rejoice in light, airy and elegant quarters. Their Engine is an Amoskeag, built in 1869, and ranks as secondclass. The stalls are sixty feet in rear of the apparatus, and placed sideways. Time in hitching, fifteen seconds, with three men ; horses at the poie, six and a-half seconds,
HOOK AND LADDER COMPANY NO. 5
is located in Communipaw avenue, near Monticello avenue. The Truck was built by C. E. Hartshorn of New York in 1870, and has been since altered from a Hand Truck to a horse apparatus. The house is large and roomy, furnishing excellent accommodations for both men and horses. It is not deep enough, however, to permit of the stalls being in the rear, so they are located in an adjoining building, separated by doors, and twenty feet from the pole. In coming out the horses have to back from the stalls, pass through the door, and make a turn, while one runs around the end of the pole, and turns in his place, a most awkward and dangerous movement when he is excited. Three men did the hitching in ten seconds, while with the horses at the pole, they hitched in five seconds. These men were very quick in their movements, and can beat this time considerably.
ENGINE COMPANY NO. 13
is located on Danforth avenue, near Old Bergen Road, well out in the suburbs. This is a Chemical Engine, two tanks, built in 1864, and is capable of holding 160 gallons of chemically-prepared water. The house is a small frame building, with insufficient accommodation for either man or beast. The staUc face the front, and are distant from the abonttwenty-fivefeet. Time in hitc:ing twelves onds. An exhibition was given of the : capacity of the Chemicd, which is very gc: a Chemical.
ENGINE COMPANY NO. 8
has the most elegant house of any in the Department, located on Ege avenue, near Ocean. It is modern in its construction, and is a very handsome structure, both outside and inside. The up-stairs rooms are light and airy, with plenty of room for the Company to grow in. Here John Tyson, the Driver, has collected a good-sized museum of interesting relics, possessing much interest to those who are fond of that which is curious and antiquated. He has promised the JOURNAL an account of his collection, which is as valuable as it is attractive. Tyson likes to discourse over his treasures, and nothing pleases him better than to have an opportunity to explain them to visitors. The apparatus of the Company consists of a second-class Amoskeag Engine and Tender, the former having been built in 1869. The stalls face to the front, the horses having a run of thirty 30 feet. Time in hitchingup, eleven seconds.
FNG!NE COMPANY NO. 10
IteS fl ItaI[[kby street, near Communipaw avenue. The Engine was built rn x866, by the Goulds Manu facturing Company, of Newark, but has been re built since. The House is a ne one, pleasant and commodious both up-stairs and down-stairs. Some very neat Dictures adorn the walls, and the men show good taste in decorating and caring for their quarters. The horses stand in the rear of the apparatus, facing to the front, and have a run of sixtyseven feet. The time in hitching was eleven seconds.
This concluded the inspection of apparatus, unless we include
THE CHIEF’S GIG,
which is located at headquarters, and which the boys hitched up in nine seconds, the horse having to back from his stall and run fifty feet.
The inspection was highly satisfactory both to those making it and to those inspected. The former were most favorably impressed with the condition of the apparatus and the efficiency of the men, while the latter were able to demonstrate clearly where certain improvements are required. The Jersey City Department is not a full-paid Department. There are five permanent men to each Company, and ten call-men, who respond to alarms. Among the call-men are the Foremen of Companies, and no Assistant Foremen are employed, the—’ Engineers of Steamers being in charge of their respective companies except at fires. Under this system it is impossible to secure the greatest degree of celerity and efficiency. It would pay Jersey City to make a full-paid Department, as the cost of a few additional men would be slight compared to the increased protection they would insure. The Houses are capable of accommodating them, and the apparatus is of a character which will warrant the best obtainable service. It will be noticed from the above report that three men only were engaged in each Company in hitching up, and, under the circumstances, the time made by them will compare favorably with that made by any of the fast-hitching Companies. A little more practice daily, however, will enable the Jersey City Companies to reduce their hitching time somewhat.
Of the horses in this Department one can speak with the utmost enthusiasm. They are a splendid lot of animals, intelligent, well-trained, sleek and well cared for. Jersey City can show horses with any Department in the country and win laurels every time. Some of the horses, in returning to their stalls from the pole, are required to turn around and back into them, a difficult operation which they perform readily without a word or sign from the men.
On the whole, Jersey City is to be congratulated on having so complete and effective a Fire Department. The apparatus, the men, horses, and general equipments are all that could be desired. Some of the houses need slight alterations, and, these made, Jersey City will be able to compete with the best in celerity of movement and efficient work. With these changes, and the addition of a few more men to the permanent force, this Department would be second to no other of its size.
Somewhere in the course of the programme were interspersed a mid-day lunch at John Berrian’s, of most excellent quality, and an evening meal at a very nice German garden on Danforth avenue. They constituted an interesting and important feature of the inspection.
The New York Department.
RELIEVING THE HORSES.
I ne necessity zor getting nrc apparatus to nres t the earliest possible moment, has made it neces ar for the horses to stand harnessed in their stalls Lay and night. This has been a great hardship to he horses, especially to new ones, the.heavy collars requentlv making their necks and breasts sore. ecently Captain Crum, of Engine Company No. had a new team sent to him, and very soon the orses wcre troubled by serious galls from the contaut chang of thc collar. He set to work to de vise some means of relief for them, and now rej joices in a very simple apparatus which works to i the entire satisfaction of himself and the horses. It consists of a cord, which passes over a pulley in the ceiling, to the far end of which is attached a weight, equal to the weight of the horse’s collar. At the end over the horse is n hook which clasps a small ring in the collar, which is thus raised free of the neck of the horse, the weight of the collar being sustained by the weight at the end of the cord. A small stationary cord attached to the hook and the front of the stall detaches the hook from the ring in the collar when the horse attempts to leave the stall. The result is that the horses have been entirely cured of their galls, and suffer no inconvenience on account of their harness. Although apparatus of a similar character is in use in some other cities, Captain Crum never saw or heard of it, and is, consequently entitled to full credit for originality in devising and constructing the apparatus. The entire ” rigging ” for three horses cost about two dollars, the men doing the work of putting it up. Commissioners Perley and Gorham have inspected the apparatus and pronounced themselves highly pleased with it. *
AN OLD TIME REMINDER.
All old Firemen will remember the elegant brown J stone-front house erected for Harry Howard Hose Company No. 55 in Christopher street, in the days of the old Volunteer Department, prominent upon its roof-top and visible for many blocks, was a carved statue of “ Harry ” himself in full fire rig, with his trumpet pointed skyward. We saw this same statue a few days ago occupying a similar position on the roof of Protection Engine No. 5’s House at Paterson, N. J., it having been presented to them by No. 55’s boys upon their disbandment; it is well preserved and well taken care of. By the I way. we would advise any of our old Volunteers or other Firemen, for that matter, to take a ride out to Paterson some day. They have a live Department in every sense of the word; first-class Companies, fine Houses and earnest, energetic men at-1 tached to them. In addition to this, is the attraction i of the Passaic Falls, which are certainly wonderful, J the river making a leap of about 80 feet over a pre-‘ cipice 100 or more feet long. Few people, even as close by as New York, have any idea of its exist-1 race, much less of its grandeur. We noticed workj men on the streets adding new boxes to their Fire Alarm Telegraph, which has been in operation j in Paterson some five or six years and gives com-1 plete satisfaction.
MTING OF THE ROARD OF COMM15S1ONER.
At the rnet,ng of the Board on Wednesday the following business was transacted:
Tr.rniftr.-FIreman Villiain Galagher, Chem. cal Engine Company No. i, to Engine No. 4!. Private John Mullen, Engine (`mv No. 4t, to Chemical Engine Company No. x. Firemen Henry Lurch, Engine Company No. 27. to Engine Company N. ; Dennis J. I Engine Company No. . to Engine Company No. t; Vifliam J. R.enshaw, Engine Company xx, to Engine Company No. ; Charles Iuor, Enf Inc Comnany 6. to Enfine Comoanv No. iT.
• Appoiemes.1. – Andrew J. Thomas, harness msker.
Lew S. Hoagland, Lngine Comp.ny No. . applied for proncu ank of Asltant Engineer of Stcarn r; re to Examining board of Engineers. Fire ) Patrick Finn, of Engine Conpiny No. 22, _Med for promotion to rank of Astant Fcre s*i; referred to Examining Board.
FIRE MARSHAL’S REPORT.
Dining the month of April there were an estimated loss $71,953. Insurance 5ame, $993,296, There were 9! ir’ whose losses did not attain to $100, and one whose loss exceeded $10,000.
Comparative Statement.—Number of fires for month ending April 30, 1878, 144; April 30, 1877, 120. Loss for month ending April 30, 1878, $71,953! April 3°$124,755. Insurance for month ending April 30, 1878, $993,296; April 30, 1877, $621,790.
Notes of Men and Things.
Engine Company No. 3 has asked for and obtained leave to take the Steamer to Chicago in September next.
John Scanlon, Permanent Truckman of Hook and Ladder 3, was tried and found guilty of violation of Rules in selling his salary-warrant—fined ten days’ pay.
Engine Company No. 22 took possession of their new House in Eighty-Fifth street on the 7th instant. A full description of the Company and of the new House was given in No. 24, vol. 1 of the JOURNAL.
Chief Coyle, of Jersey City, was recently instructed to test all the Hose in his Department, and to report all that was not serviceable. He did so and burst 2,700 feet that would not stand a fair fire pressure.
Darrow & Turner, of Spruce street, this city, have this week shipped an export order of 3,000 feet 2#-inch oak-tanned leather hose, and have also sold the Orange. N. J , Fire Department 500 feet 2}£-inch leather hose for use on their Steamers. This Department has heretofore used cotton rubber-lined hose, but now takes to leather.
A new style of Hose Cart, to be known as the “Dexter,” is being made at the Leverich Works in this city. It is light and handsome, and will give good satisfaction. The improvement consists of the application of the light “Dexter” side springs to the apparatus instead of side bars and springs. We shall describe it more fully when it is completed, as we think it will prove a popular carriage.
The Gutta Percha and Rubber Company assert that it was not their “Maltese Cross” hose which they offered to the Brooklyn Department at 87J4 cents a foot, but an inferior grade of hose. We presume the New York Belting and Packing Compauy, which took the order at 79 cents, will put in a grade inferior to their “Test” hose. Such prices will not get the best hose, and it is poor economy to buy cheap hose. Brooklyn has had experience enough with all kinds to have learned wisdom by this time.