Cleaning Establishment Destroyed

Cleaning Establishment Destroyed

Fire destroyed a cleaning and dyeing establishment in Wilmington, Del., with a possible loss of more than $100,000. It was believed that the fire started in the boiler room of the large one-story plant. By the time the first companies arrived the heat was so intense that two explosions occurred as the boilers gave way. Adjoining buildings were threatened, but were protected by hose streams. Three firemen were directing a stream of water on a smouldering drum, and as the water struck the container it exploded, throwing flaming cleaning fluid in all directions. The flames enveloped the firemen before they could retreat and they had to be treated for burns on face and hands. The blaze, which was fed by inflammable material, was finally extinguished after two hours of fighting, but not until it had left the building in complete ruins.

No posts to display