CONCORD WATER DEPARTMENT.
The source of the water supply of Concord, N. H., is Penacook lake, a natural body of water containing 265 acres, situated about three and one-half miles from the Statehouse, and about 125 ft. higher than Main street in front of the Statehouse. The mode of supply is gravity and pumping to a reservoir. The works, which are owned by the city, were constructed in 1872 a”d furnish water to an estimated population of 17.000 persons included in the water precinct, th -population of the city by a census taken in 1900 being 19,632. The matter of protecting Penacook lake from contamination lias received the careful consideration of the board, and during the year it has secured several properties on the shores of the lake with this end in view. But in course of time public sentiment will demand more vigorous measures in this direction. During the past year 14,972 ft. of cast-iron mains have been laid. Twenty-seven hydrants and fifty-five stopgates have been set. It is expected that, within a comparatively short period the work of substitution of cast iron for cement-lined pipe will be completed. This will relieve the department of so large an annual expenditure for new construction. The total length of main and distribution pipes now in use is 348.668 ft., equal to 66.03 miles. The total number of hydrants, 339; of gates, 893; service” pipes, 82,563 ft.—15.63 miles; meters, 1.439. The total pumpage for the year amounted to 234,878,916 gals.; daily average, 643,503 gals. V. C. Hastings, superintendent, recommends a considerable amount of relaying of mains to be done during the year and the extension of a pipe down Dunklee street, from West to Pillsbury street.