Chiefs’ Club Convened Same Time—Firemen’s Treasury Has Balance of $20,707—Executive Committee to Select Next Convention City

WILLIAM J. CROCKETT, a member of the volunteer fire department at South Manchester, Connecticut, was elected president of the Connecticut State Firemen’s Association at the forty-sixth annual convention of this organization, held August 16-17, at East Hartford. Michael J. Whalen of Hamden was unanimously elected vice-president. Other officers voted into office were as follows: Secretary, David W. Harford of South Norwalk; treasurer, Michael T. Souney of New Britain; chaplain, Rev. M. J. Ryan of South Meriden.

County vice-presidents elected were: Middlesex, George S. Pitt of Middletown; New Haven, Thomas F. Cavanaugh of Waterbury; Hartford, William H. Dailey of Hartford; Tolland, George B. Milne of Rockville; Windham, Frank Dumas of Putnam; New London, Calvin Edmonds of New London; Litchfield, John H. Griffin of Norfolk; Fairfield, George B. Talmadge of Norwalk.

The Connecticut Fire Chiefs’ Club which meets annually with the state firemen re-elected Ex-Chief Rufus R. Fancher of the New Haven Fire Department, as president, and D. B. Mercer of West Haven as its secretary. Several new members were added to the club’s roster. Lunch was served to the chiefs at the Oasis Club.

The report of Treasurer Souney of the state association showed that after the year’s expenses were paid, the balance in the treasury was $20,707.84. A total of 218 claims were paid during the year, which amounted to $18,193.90. The amount of $8,389.90 was paid out for the care of the orphan children of deceased firemen.

Snapshots of the State 1. Convention Captain Edward Foley of Bridgeport talking to Bill Crockett, Manchester, newly elected president.2. Deputy Chief Michael T. Souney, New Britain treasurer.3. Chief J. Frank Meunier, East Hartford, host to the visiting firemen, and John J. Sullivan, one of his aides.

The business end of the convention which was attended by one of the largest representation of delegates yet recorded. brought out many important matters pertaining to the welfare of the firemen in the state. The convention heard the report of Secretary Harford in reference to the case of Lieut. O’Leary of the Waterbury Fire Department, who lost both lower limbs as the result of an accident while on duty. An effort was made to place Lieut. O’Leary’s name on a permanent benefit list, but as this would be contrary to the association’s by-laws, the matter was dropped and it was voted to continue benefits until the next convention.

After the business meeting on the next day was completed, the parade and field day, which is an annual feature in connection with the convention, was held. Resplendent in regalia which ranged from the ancient and traditional “red shirts” of the veteran companies to the staid blue of the prevailing type of uniform, more than two thousand men marched in the parade through the main streets of East Hartford. The turnout of the parade was exceptionally good. All types of fire-fighting equipment were represented from the modern aerial ladder to the diminutive hand engine of the old Hartford veterans, built in 1793. Many handsome prizes were awarded to the marchers.

The sports program lasted until early evening and was witnessed by a crowd of nearly one thousand persons. The 1930 convention will be held in a city or town to be selected by the Executive Committee.

No posts to display