Death of Deputy Chief Shallow
Deputy Chief Edward J. Shallow, who was retired from the Boston Fire Department about a year ago because of injuries aud illness, died on January 12 at the home of Mrs. Mary C. Miller, a cousin, in Dorchester. He had been a patient for several months at the Robert Brigham Hospital on Parker Hill and at that time was reported to be suffering from arthritis.
“Ned Shallow,” as he was popularly known, was one of the best liked and most efficient officers of the Boston department. He was for many years in command of Division 1 with headquarters at the fire station in Fort Hill
Square. He made a special study of ship fires and of means of rescuing persons trapped in elevators.
He was born in Newfoundland on December 27, 1866, and came to this country when a young man. He was appointed to the Boston Fire Department in November of 1888 and assigned to Engine Company No. 26 on Mason Street.
In 1895 he was promoted to lieutenant and assigned to Ladder Company No. 17 on Harrison Avenue. He was later advanced to captain and in June, 1908, was made acting district chief. In August, 1913, he was appointed district chief and in 1922 he became deputy chief.
He won commendations many times for rescue work and was known as an earnest student of new methods in fire department work. He was the author of a paper published in FIRE AND WATER ENGINEERING some years ago on “Fighting Dock and Ship Fires.”
He was a member of the Massachusetts State Firemen’s Association, New England Veteran Firemen’s League, Roxbury Veteran Firemen’s Association, Ninth Regiment Veterans’ Association. Boston Ixxlge of Elks, and the Knights of jColumbus.
The funeral was held from his late residence. 711 East Fifth Street, South Boston, with a detail of Boston firemen as escort to St. Eulalia’s Church, where a solemn high mass of requiem was celebrated.
There were more than 200 Boston firemen in uniform who marched in the funeral procession. The casket was draped in a new American flag.