TAUNTON, Mass.—Fire department; year ending Dec. 31, 1889. Twenty-eight bell and 22 still alarms were answered and assistance rendered to the town of Raynham and city of Boston. The losses were $29,458, covered by insurance of $153,125. The manual force of the department consists of 127 officers and men—8 permanent, 83 part paid and 36 volunteer. In service there are 3 steamers, 3 horse hose reels, 2 horse hose wagons, 3 hand reels, 2 hook and ladder trucks, I supply wagon, 11 hand extinguishers and 12,900 feet of rubber lined hose. There are 495 hydrants and 9 reservoirs with a capacity of 400,000 gallons, also a good supply of water for steamers from the rivers and ponds at the Weir, Whittenton and Britanniaville. The fire alarm system includes 42 signal boxes and five miles of wire divided into 5 circuits. The appropriation for expenses was $16,000 and the expenditures $15,666. The recommendations in the report included the sale of one steamer and two old hand engines not in service, the purchase of a chemical engine and the adoption of regulations governing the stringing of wires and for the inspection of the same on private property as well as public ways. Abner Coleman is chief engineer.
LAMBERTVILLB, N. J.—Fire department; year ending March 31, 1890. The department consists of 135 officers and men with one steam fire engine and one hand engine, one four wheeled hose carriage and one hook and ladder truck. Of hose there is 950 feet of fabric and 600 feet of rubber, in fair condition. There were but three fires (including one at New Hope) the total losses being $1210. There are twenty three hydrants supplied by the Lambertville Water Company. The expenses of the department were $1359, including $528 for hydrant rental. The recommendations include the adoption of an electric fire alarm system, the purchase of additional hose and the setting of more hydrants. C. Id. W. Van Sciver is chief engineer.
NEWTON, Mass.—Water department ; year ending Dec. 31, 1889. The population is estimated at 23,500. The works, which are owned by the city, were built in 1876, and are supplied from a filter basin on the bank of Charles River fed by intercepted springs. The mode of supply is by pumping through the mains to the reservoir, making it a storage and regulating basin. The pumping machinery was built by H. R. Worthington. The total pumpage for the year was 315,370,009 gallons; about 59,000,000 gallons in excess of the figures for 1888. The pumps work against an average static head of 176.78 and an average dynamic head of 227.70. The number of gallons pumped per pound of coal was 241. The cost of pumping figured on pumping station expenses of $5,313.85 was, per million gallons raised against average dynamic head into reservoir, $16.85, and raised one foot high, dynamic .07. The consumption for the year was 311,503,775 gallons, of which 129,500,000 passed through domestic meters, and 17,130,000 gallons through manufacturing meters. The average daily consumption per inhabitant was thirty-six gallons, and per consumer thirty-eight gallons. The distributing system includes 90.2 miles of four to twenty inch cast iron mains, of which 17,786 feet were laid in 1889, and 606 hydrants of which twenty-one were added last year. Of meters there were added in 1889, 209, making the total number in use 270S, which number includes 2058 Crown, fifty-three Hersey and ten Empire. The whole number of services in use is 4203, of which 225 for new supplies were added last year. The cost of maintenance of mains per mile was $10.77. The receipts for the year were $75,683, which included $47,204.52 for meter rates and $3,196.83 for meter rents. The expenditures for maintenance were $15,420.78 ; on service and meter account $3532, and on construction account $49,704. After a long and careful investigation of the subjects of providing high service for fire protection in the elevated parts of the city and of enlarging the domestic supply, plans for these improvements were adopted and the work is in progress under the direction of the engineer of the water board, Albert F. Noyes. The Newton Water Board consists of Edward W. Cate, president; Francis A. Dcwson, Levi C. Wade, aldermen ; Wm. F. Harbach, councilman; F. M. Crehore. J. C. Whitney is water registrar and clerk ; A. F. Noyes, engineer; and H. Nelson Hyde, Jr., superintendent.