Department Store Damaged by Fire at Wilmington

Department Store Damaged by Fire at Wilmington

The J. W. H. Fuchs Department Store, of Wilmington, N. C., was recently damaged by fire which broke out shortly after midnight, and which is supposed to have been caused by defective wiring. The department found dense smoke coming from every window and door of the building. The department was somewhat hindered in its work by this smoke. Despite this, however. Chief Charles Schnibben and his men did excellent work, confining the flames to the one building and holding the loss on the building down to $3,000 and the loss on the contents to $33,000. The contents were valued at $50,000. The damaged building was two stories high and was built of brick 10 years ago. There was 1,500 feet of cotton rubber-lined hose in service, equipped with 1and 1 1/4-inch nozzles. Ten 6-inch double hydrants, located 150 feet apart, were available for use, and at these there was a pressure of 70 pounds. One stream front a fire boat and three from hydrants were thrown. Water was supplied by means of the standpipe system, Horn a twelve-inch main, located near tne scene ol the hre. Chief Schnibben had 28 men and the following apparatus at the hlaze; One fire boat, 2 combination chemical and hose wagons, 1 hose wagon and 1 ladder truck.

No posts to display