Dry Goods Fire in Laurenceville
The Rusling block, a two-story brick structure, occupying a space 65 by 80 feet, was recently destroyed by fire, in Law rencevillc, Pa. The fire started in the basement, probably due to the lighting of a gas stove, and was discovered in the early evening. Chief W. H. Merchant found the fire in the basement in and around a kerosene oil tank. He immediately placed two engine and one chemical streams on the fire. Chief Merchant handled the fire very efficiently and the department could have extinguished it in ten minutes had it not been for the burning oil. As it was the firemen held it in check for over two hours before it broke opt. The dense smoke and great heat from the burning oil made it a very difficult fire for the men to handle. Seven hundred feet of cotton rubber-lined hose was used. The loss on the building was $10,000 and $40,000 on contents consisting principally of dry goods, hardware and the furnishings of a hall.