Dry Goods house Burns at Carthage, Mo.

Dry Goods house Burns at Carthage, Mo.

Carthage, Mo., sustained a severe loss on January 6th, when the Ramsey Brothers’ store was burned involving damage to the extent of $30,000. The building is located on the west side of a square and covers a ground space of from fifty to two hundred feet, is two stories high and was built of brick twenty years ago. Its partition walls were of lath and plaster and there was no protection from fire of any kind. About forty people were employed in the building, and when the flames started at 5:10 p. m., having been caused by a defective furnace, an alarm was sent in and responded to by one ladder truck and one hose wagon. The water system is a municipal plant and directs pumping. The streets at this point are forty and sixty feet wide, through which six and twelve inch water mains run. Eighteen thousand feet of hose were laid, using 3-4., 7-8, 1, 1 1-16 inch nozzles and there were four sixinch double hydrants available and with a water pressure of one hundred pounds, four streams were maintained until the fire was extinguished. When the fire department arrived the flames had burned through the floor to the ground story and were raging fiercely. The fire evidently caught from an over-heated furnace that had been allowed to burn freely on account of the extremely cold weather. One stream was maintained in the front and two in the rear and another was operated between two buildings. The stock, consisting of dry goods, was destroyed more or less by smoke and water. The water pressure was very good from start to finish, the gauge standing at 100 pounds. Not a line of hose burst during the fire, nor did any other accident occur. Zero weather prevailed at the time.

No posts to display