Eight Lives Lost in New York Fire

Eight Lives Lost in New York Fire

GENERAL NEWS ARTICLE

Eight lives were lost and seven persons were injured in a $200,000 fire caused by an explosion in a fire-trap factory building in New York last Friday afternoon. The building was of brick, six stories high, located at 210-212 Canal street, running through to Mulberry street, in Harry Howard square (named in honor of a former chief of the fire department), and ocupied by several concerns, mostly clothing manufacturers. The fire started at 2:40 p. m. on the third floor and was caused by an explosion of gas. which hurled fluid used for japanning purposes about the room and stairways. Inside of two minutes the three upper floors, where 60 girls and 40 men were employed. were in flames. Those who escaped fled down the stairways and fire escapes. Three alarms were sent in and the fire department responded promptly. The explosion, from some unknown cause, occurred half an hour after the gas in a japanning stove had been lighted. It blew out most of the windows in the building and shattered glass a block away. Several heroic rescues of occupants were made hy citizens, firemen and policemen. When the firemen arrived the upper floors were all in flames, which were belching from every window. Three young women stenographers and three men lost their lives. A fire January 9, 1912, damaged the building about $50,000.

VIEW OF FACTORY FIRE IN CANAL STREET, NEW YORK, WHERE EIGHT LIVES WERE LOST, OCTOBER 24, 1913.

Acting Fire Chief John J. Shannon and Lieutenant Davis of Engine Company No. 5 are said to be dying in Bellevue Hospital from injuries received in a factory blaze at Nos. 617-621 East Eighteenth street, in which 20 men were hurt. Shannon, responding to the first alarm and while leading the fire fighters, was struck by the blast of fumes from a broken window and dropped unconscious to an areaway two stories below. Chief Kenlon had just arrived when another explosion felled Lieutenant Davis and Firemen William Hansen. John Rooney and John Veincls. The firemen were hurried to Bellevue in a serious condition. A dozen more were treated on the spot and sent back to their stations. The building’s first three floors were occupied by the American Foil Company. On the top floor is the Premier Metal Etching Company. The chemical used in treating the tinfoil made a blinding and suffocating smoke, which overcame the men as fast as they assailed the blaze. The damage is estimated at $20,000. The fireboats New Yorker, Zophar Mills and Abram S. Hewitt played on the blaze from the river, while the concentrated apparatus of the district fought from the land side.

No posts to display