Electric Iron Causes Winnipeg Fire

Electric Iron Causes Winnipeg Fire

Fire stated to be caused by an electric iron damaged the Osborne Theatre block in the south section of Winnipeg, Man., Canada, valued at $42,000, Chief J. E. Buchanan skillfully keeping the losses down to $14,000 on the structure and $3,000 on contents, worth $8,000. Tenants discovered the fire and an alarm was sent in from a street fire alarm box at 3.13 a. m., and Chief Buchanan found the building all on fire. An AmericanLaFrance motor pumping engine and a Seagrave motor pumping engine did very good service, and besides these, the department had in service two steam engines, one Conmmer hose wagon, one LaFrance motor aerial ladder truck, one Seagrave aerial truck, two ladder trucks and four hose wagons; 7,400 feet of hose were laid and five engine and two hydrant streams were thrown. Seven hydrants with an 80-pound pressure were available and were located 250 feet apart. The building, 60 by 120 feet, was three stories high and of steel concrete construction with brick walls and a wood, tar and gravel roof. Chief Buchanan, who had sixty firemen at the fire, worked so efficiently that the flames were extinguished in three hours.

Osborne Theatre Block, Winnipeg, After the Fire.

No posts to display