Ex-Chief Mayer, of Bloomington, Dead
Ex-Chief Henry Mayer, who served 42 years in the fire department of Bloomington, Ill., and who was chief for 28 years, passed away on October 9. Ex-Chief Mayer was born in Belleville, Ill., April 7.
1858, receiving his education in the Belleville public schools and finishing up in a business college in that city. He removed to Bloomington in 1874, learning the blacksmith and carriage making trade. He joined the fire department as a call-man in 1881 receiving $10 a month and a place to sleep. He was made chief, fire marshal and city electrician on May 6, 1895. In 1900 he was reappointed chief and put in charge of all the departments of safety. Later on. the office of electrical inspector was created by ordinance and until his retirement last May, Mr. Mayer acted as fire chief and superintendent of buildings. His father was a captain in the fire
department of Bloomington. Ex-Chief Mayer was a member oi the International Association of Fire Engineers and the Illinois Firemen’s Association. He was a Mason and a member of the Moose and Redmen’s orders. He leaves a widow, a son and a daughter.
The funeral services were held at the Masonic Temple, Rev. E. E. Higdon, of the First Christian Church officiating. ‘J’he fire house was draped in mourning, the apparatus out and draped and the men standing at attention when the funeral procession passed it. The pall-bearers were members of the fire department of Bloomington. There were also several members of the Peoria fire department present at the funeral.