Explosion and Fire in Van Buren, Me.
The fire that recently resulted in the total loss of the building in Van Buren, Me., owned by Thomas Willett and occupied by a moving picture theatre and offices started from a cause not definitely ascertained, but as the floor of the theater was painted the night before, and the hall was tightly closed and the fire started with an explosion, it is thought that gases may have collected and in some way become ignited. The exploscion took place at 3:45 A. AM., and flames were seen by a passer-by who gave the alarm. As there was no APparts, the thirty-five firemen present under command of Chief E. E. Dianne, laid 2,000 feet of hose and did the best they could with that. Five 6-inch hydrants were available spaced at 300 feet, and had a water pressure of 80 pounds. About 300 feet of the cotton rubber-lined hose burst during the fire, showing that the supply is not in a reliable condition. The value of property and contents was about $15,000 and the loss was practically total.