Extinguisher Plays Part in Laboratory Explosion Suit
James C. Jay, a student of Walla Walla College, recently was awarded $27,303 judgment against the Washington school. Jay had suffered an eye injury as the result of a fire and explosion in a chemistry laboratory on February 10, 1957.
In his complaint he contended he entered the laboratory trying to put out a fire, found the fire extinguisher empty, and was injured in the subsequent explosion. He alleged negligence on the part of the college in not keeping the extinguisher filled. The Superior Court jury ruled in his favor after a five-day trial.