Extrication Safety Checklist
(Photos by Ronald E. Moore)
Before any work can be started to extricate a person trapped by a steering column, other basics have to be accomplished:
- —Survey of the accident scene.
- —Establishment of a circle of operation, kept clear of debris.
- —Positioning of charged handlines.
- —Stabilization of the vehicle.
- —Survey and stabilization of the victim.
- —Protection (blanketing and so on) of the victim.
- —Removal of the windshield and its wipers, and other glazing as necessary.
- —Establishment of tool site and laying out of extrication equipment ready for use.
- —Assignment of crew members as observers to monitor safety and to communicate any irregularities during the extrication procedures.