Fairfield Now Fully Protected Against Fire
It would be a much more difficult task for an enemy to burn up the town of Fairfield, Conn, today than it was about 150 years ago, for the town is now well protected with four fire companies and many pieces of modern fire fighting equipment, the latest addition to the town’s apparatus being a new Waterous combination pumping and chemical engine, recently presented to Fairfield by Miss Annie B. Jennings and Oliver Gould Jennings, wealthy residents of this suburb of Bridgeport. The rest of the equipment consists of two Locomobile combination chemical engines, one 8 years old and the other 6 years old, together with plenty of axes, hose, crowbars, boots, first aid outfits and gas masks. There are 100 members in the department. At the annual meeting of the department this year, the report of Chief Pickett showed that property saved by the fire fighters in 1922 was estimated at $290,300. The damage by fire during the year was $26,550. The department answered 71 alarms. The officers of the Fairfield department are: E. W. S. Pickett, chief; Thomas Murphy and Robert Balling, assistant chiefs; George W. Anderson, secretary; William McGarry, chief chauffeur and Dr. W. H. Donaldson, physician.
Sacramento Bonds for Fire Department Improvements— The citizens of Sacramento, Cal, on May 16, voted bonds for fire department improvements which include the erection of several fire houses, which are to be in service by the first of 1924, and the addition of three 750-gallon pumpers and one city service truck.