Fatal Fire in Cheyenne Hotel

Fatal Fire in Cheyenne Hotel

A recent fire in the Inter-Ocean Hotel in Cheyenne, Wyo., resulted in the death of one man by electrocution and five men by suffocation. The elevator boy discovered the fire in the evening, about 9.35 o’clock, and the manager and employees tried to extinguish the blaze without calling the department, and the alarm was sent in at 9.59 o’clock by a passing pedestrian who saw the flames. From reports it appears that had the department been called when the fire was first discovered the lives would not have been lost and very little damage to the structure or its conetnts would have resulted. The hotel was a threestory structure constructed of soft brick and wood, and it occupied a space 132 by 66 feet. It was 41 years old and had partition walls, all made of wood, plaster and lathe, except one, which separated the office and saloon, and this was of brick. The fire started in the public bath room on the third floor at the head of the stairs and was caused probably by defective wiring. The fire protection on the premises consisted of l 1/2-inch pipes with hose and two extinguishers. Fifteen persons were employed in the hotel. When Chief E. P. Taylor arrived at the fire he found the flames shooting from the third story windows, the entire third story hall aflame. Chief Taylor placed eleven hydrant streams on the fire with a pressure of 125 pounds. The following apparatus was in use: One Seagrave 65-foot aerial truck, one combination hose and chemical truck, two hose wagons and chief’s car. Four thousand five hundred feet of cotton rubber-lined hose was used and one length burst during the fire. The water was supplied by gravity and the pressure held up splendidly, although Chief Taylor was obliged to place additional lines on another fire at the same time, making seventeen in all. The loss on property valued at $35,000 was $18,000 and on contents valued at $10,000 was $3,500, principally hotel furniture, carpets, rugs, etc.

Chief E. P. Taylor, Cheyenne, Wyo.

No posts to display