FIERY WEEK IN NEW YORK CITY.
There were several bad fires in Manhattan, New York, during the week. In one, early in the morning, in a tenement house, four persons were badly burned. —At a ,$30,000 blaze in the three upper floors of the six-story 91 Crosby street, Capt. Walker and three firemen were caught on the rear fire escape, on the third floor, by the flames which burst out from the windows. They stood in the midst turning their back on the fierce fire, and directed the stream over their shoulders, suffering intensely all the time. They got away with singed hair, blistered hands, and burned coats.—Harry Miner’s Eighth Avenue theatre, at Twenty-sixth street, caught fire after the performance either from spontaneous combustion or the butt of a cigarette thrown down behind the scenes by a chorus girl. The department cleverly kept the flames from spreading; but of the old ramshackle, firetrap of a -three-story building, only the blackened shell was left.—A very stubborn early morning fire in the cellars of the Morton house, Fourteenth street and Broadway scared the guests out of their beds into the cold streets, and overcame twenty firemen, of whom two had to be taken to the hospital after having been rescued in a state of unconsciousness, first, by Fireman Dalphin of engine company No. 14, and then by Chaplain Walkeley (Episcopalian) who had followed them down stairs into the dense smoke. He brought them up one by one and carried them to the sidewalk. Again the good work of the department saved the hotel as well as Keith’s theatre next door, which it was thought must go.