FILTRATION AT MIDDLETOWN.
Successful Operation of the American System.
(Specially Written for FIRE AND WATER ENGINEERING.)
The quality of the water at Middletown, N. Y., always good, has been further improved by the installation of a New York Continental Jewell Filtration company’s filter, designed and constructed in 1899 and 1900. The plant has been built about two miles west from the city. It consists of a gravity and a pressure filter plant; the capacity of the former is 2,000,000 gallons daily; of the latter, 1,000,000 gallons. One building contains both, and underneath is the clear water reservoir.
The filter building, an illustration of which accompanies this notice, is of brick and is one story high. At one end and underneath it is a clear water well, seventy-three feet long, and thirty-five feet wide, whose capacity is 9,580 gallons. The building itself is 128 feet long and thirty-six wide, with walls ten feet high. The roof is of slate, and is held up by modern trusses.
The gravity filter plant consists of two subsidiary basins and four filters with a capacity of 500,000 gallons each daily. Two three-inch cypress tanks, each twenty-two feet in diameter and seven and onehalf feet deep inside, compose the subsidiary basins, and connected with each tank are the influent and effluent pipes, with automatic valves, overflow pipe and sewer drain. The filters themselves consist of four two and one-half-inch cypress tanks, fifteen feet in diameter and seven feet deep. In each filter is a manifold of iron pipes, with strainer cups and an internal manifold of brass and galvanised iron pipes for the distribution of air, and in each tank is a layer c f sand thirty-six inches deep. With each tank is also supplied a suitable metal gutter round the periphery of the tank for distributing the applied water and removing the waste water during washing. Each tank is also fitted with inlet and outlet valves, waste water and air-valves; the automatic inlet regulator and automatic outlet controler are similarly supplied.
The pressure filter plant consists of four steel tanks eight feet in diameter and ten feet long, and having connected with each the usual number of inlet and outlet yalves. Each tank is also provided with a manifold of wrought iron pipe, with strainer cups and an internal manifold of brass and galvanised iron pipe to distribut2e the air used in washing the filters, in each of which are forty-two inches of sand. In connection with this plant there is an aerating device at the high-pressure reservoir, to allow the aeration of the water before entering the pipes passing to the filter plant.
The filtration plant is supplied with a seventy-five horsepower boiler, wash-water pump, blowing engine, and the usual chemical devices, feed pumps, etc., together with the necessary piping, drains, and the like.
The cost of the plant and fixtures was about $30,000; the cost of the maintenance is about $3,300 a year; and the average total of water filtered is from 1,500,000 to 2,000,000 gallons daily.
The illustrations accompanying Ibis article represent the filter house, which was built in 1889-1900, near the Monhagen reservoir, and the interior of the filter house, showing on the left the four steel pressure filters, used for filtering the Highland reservoir water, and the gravity filters on the right.
The aerator referred to above is built on a concrete foundation twenty feet square at the inlet of the twenty-inch conduit in Monhagen reservoir.
Owing to the short supply of water in the Monhagen reservoir, it was impossible to filter water by the gravity system from February 25 to May 23the changes to be made by the filtration company not having been completed.