Fire Chief M. Joseph Cleary Honored
Fire Chief M. Joseph Cleary, who has served the Groton, Mass., Fire Department for fifty years, was recently honored at a dinner and reception.
The master of ceremonies in speaking about Mr. Cleary, gave a resume of the Groton Fire Department and the part Chief Cleary had in it. The Groton Fire Department was organized in 1875 into two companies, the Paugus and the Lawrence. In 1886 the Squanocook Company of West Groton was organized. In May, 1893, Mr. Cleary joined the Paugus Volunteer Engine Company. In April, 1895, he became assistant foreman. In May, 1898, the two companies disbanded and reorganized as Groton Engine and Hose Company No. 1. In April, 1904, Mr. Cleary became first assistant foreman and in 1907 was made foreman. In 1911 the Board of Selectment appointed him an engineer, and in 1921 he became chief.