FIRE DEPARTMENT OF JERSEY CITY.
Chief Conway reports that the system of men-at-call has bee abolished at Jersey City, N. J.—permanent men taking their place. During the twelve months ending December 31, 1897, there were 439 alarms for fire, being an increase over the preceding year of fifty-two. Notwithstanding this increase, the loss by fire amounted to but $181,234, being $243,960 less than the previous year, or a decrease of about fiftyeight percent. This showing speaks well for the efforts of the department, which is further evidenced by the fact that a voluntary reduction of ten per cent, in the rates of insurance for the city has been made by the fire underwriters. There has been organized in the year past a new engine company known as No. 15, which is located temporarily in the horse hospital on Belmont avenue. Negotiations are pending for the purchase of a suitable plot on ground in the Marion section, and as soon as possible a new house will be erected for its use. The number of apparatus has been increased by the purchase of a new steam fire engine and hose wagon. All of the engines, wagons, and trucks are in good condition, The condition of the hose could not be better.
The department is well equipped with the latest devices for fighting fire and nothing has been left undone by the board to increase its efficiency. The recommendations made by the chief for a new truck in the vicinity of Summit and Sip avenues, additional companies in lower Jersey City,in Greenville, and West Bergen, are approved and commended.
The report of the fire commissioners concludes :
In conclusion, we desire to express our appreciation of the good conduct and discipline of the department during the past year, and commend officers and men for the skill and efficiency displayed by them in the discharge of their arduous duties.