FIRE DEPARTMENT OF MADISON, N. J.
Twenty years ago, the formation of a fire department for Madison was discussed at a public meeting. E. P. Feleh was made chairman of the meeting and D. A. Cooper, secretary. It was stated that Madison had suffered considerable loss by fire, and It seemed wise that some protection should be secured. Two cisterns, which had been built in the Square and near the postoffice a few years previous by the then defunct Madison Improvement Society, it was thought could be made available to use in case of a fire in the centre of the town, and with the aid of an organized company good service could be rendered
Committees were appointed to formulate articles of incorporation, and organize a company.
On June 6, 1881, the election of officers took place, and resulted ns follows: President, B. Warren Gurnet; foreman, William S. Denman; first assistant, James A. Post; second assistant, A. S. Force ; secretary, Fred B. Pardon; treasurer, M. B. Crane. Meetings were held from time to time to hear from the committee on subscriptions to purchase a hook and ladder truck, but not until April 7, 1882, were there sufficient funds in hand to secure the same. It cost, complete, $647.05, and was sold to Afton recently and replaced by a handsome, up-to-date apparatus, costing $1,400.
Through the generosity of the late William J. Brittin, the present lot was given to the company, aud a building costing $700 erected, the money for this being raised by private subscription. It was completed and oocupiedon June 6, 1882.
The first fire which the company had to contend with was on a Sunday in June, 1884, at 3 a. m., in Duncan’s drug store, and it was put out wdth but little damage. The same building got on fire again on the Wednesday following at 2 a. m , and the property was again saved, although much dumage was done by water. Since that time the company has attended ninety-one fires.
From the introduction of city water with a gravity pressure of 100 pounds to the square inch, In the most thickly settled part of the ^town, there ha* been but little loss from flames, the firemen acting promptly with a complete equipment for fire service. But four members of the company have died since its organization, viz: Benjamin L. Brown, William J. Brittin, Edward O’Donnell and It. C. Albright. There are now thirty-four members, with the following officers: President, Fred B. Bunion; vice-president, Edward F. Freuz; treasurer, Edward Van Voorhees; secretary, Alfred P. Smith ; chief, James E. Burnet; first assistant, John B. McGrath; second assistant, L. L. Taylor.
While the fire apparatus, consisting of a hook and ladder truck, hose carriage containing 800 feet of hose, and a jumper with 400 feet, with an extra supply of 1,200 feet of hose, is adequate for present purposes,the building is far too small, and efforts are now being put forth to have a suitable one erected, and to put In operation an electric alarm. The compnny has a steward, who Ison duty at all hours, while a telephone service keeps the members in touch with the entire borough.
There is but one organized volunteer Are department in the city of Denver, Colo. It is known as the Murray Hose company, and the hose house is located in the old town of Colfux. The company consists of about twenty-five men, citizens of Colfax and Highlands. The company was organized May 10, 1899, by W. S. Meyers, and was named in honor of Matthew Murray, alderman of the Sixteenth ward.