Fire Department Shares Public Safety Building
The Coldwater, Mich., Fire Department has moved into a public safety building that it shares with the police department. The new building replaces a fire station built in 1861, the only one the town of 9000 persons ever had. —
The fire department half of the building has a 61 X 92-foot apparatus floor with four bays, two of them double-depth, drive-through bays. Shop and storage areas and a hose tower that can hold 4000 feet of hose are in one corner of the apparatus floor. A mezzanine also provides storage space.
A hydrant on the apparatus floor and an engine exhaust system provide facilities for training pump operators indoors during cold weather.
Also on the first floor are administrative offices, the fire alarm office, a classroom, dining area, kitchen and lounge. Dormitory facilities are on the second floor.