St. Paul has Four Alarm Blaze in Semi-Industrial Section Frame Structures

A FOUR alarm fire in the semi-business and residence section of St. Paul, Minn., recently, gave the department, under Chief Owen C. Dunn, a hard task, which was complicated by the fact that there was a row of frame dwellings directly opposite the building involved, which required great exertions and skill to save from igniting due to the intense heat of the fire.

The first alarm was received at 5:47 p. m. and on Chief Dunn’s arrival he sent in three others in quick succession, bringing six Ahrens-Fox pumpers; one American-LaFrance and one Seagrave pumpers; two PierceArrow squad wagons; two Ahrens-Fox and one Waterous steamers; one American-LaFrance aerial and two Seagrave city service trucks. Besides the chief there were in service one assistant and one district chief, with 101 men. Ten 6-inch hydrants— two double—were available, one of which was 12 feet from the fire, one 70 feet and the balance from 700 to 1,200 feet.

Chief Owen C. Dunn, St. Paul, Minn.

Sixteen engine streams were thrown, t h e hydrant pressure being 60 pounds. Of the 11,650 feet of hose laid, three lengths were burned and four burst. A turret pipe was also brought into requisition in fighting the blaze.

The fire broke out in the center of the United States Bedding Company’s plant, caused, it was thought, by a hot box in a cotton carding machine, and spread rapidly through the inflammable materials in the plant. The fire spread to the plant of the Northwood Sounding Board Company, which was also badly damaged. A high wind was blowing, and the fire department was kept busy extinguishing the small fires caused by flying sparks falling on inflammable roofs. A church four blocks from the fire was ignited by sparks but the damage was slight, owing to the prompt work of the fire department.

The total damage from the fire was estimated at from $500,000 to $750,000.

Likes Fire Engines, So Turns in Alarms—A boy five years old was brought before the court in New York city charged with turning itt a false alarm. The youngster pleaded that he liked fire engines, and he climbed a fence erected by contractors working on the subway excavations and turned in an alarm. When he attempted to turn in a second alarm, a policeman saw him climbing down from the fence and he arrested him.

No posts to display