Fire in Akron Country Club
The main section of the Portage Country Club building, situated in the extreme western end of Akron, Ohio, caught fire recently in the cellar, it is thought, from an overheated boiler at 4:10 A. M., the alarm coming in at that time. There were eight persons in the building at the time of the fire, but all escaped safely. The department, when it arrived under the command of Chief J. F. Mertz, according to the account furnished by First Assistant Chief H. M. Fritz, found the fire raging in the cellar and was greatly handicapped by the fact that it was impossible to shut off the gas as the box in the street could not be located. The members of the department numbered thirty-one and the apparatus consisted of one White and one Ahren-Fox pumpers, one Metropolitan steam engine, one service truck and two 60-gallon and one 35-gallon chemical apparatus. There were three 6-inch double hydrants spaced about 5CX) feet apart available, with a pressure of 50 pounds. Four hydrant and four engine streams were thrown, with nozzles of 1 1/4 inches, 2,800 feet of hose being used. There was excellent pressure for the engines supplied by standpipe. The value of the building, which was two and two and a half stories in height, occupying a space of 50×200 feet, was $125,000, with a loss reckoned at $60,000. The value of the contents, furniture and club fixtures, was $50,000, with a loss of $25,000.