Fire in Chicago Railroad Yard
The Michigan Central railroad was recently visited by a bad fire, which caused $50,000 loss to the $65,000 building, and almost total loss to the $20,000 stock of grain located in Chicago. Losses were also caused to freight cars filled with merchandise. The building, which occupied a space of 200 by 60 feet, was 25 years old and six stories high. It was constructed of wood, covered with corrugated iron. It had a pump and hose for private apparatus, and an iron stairway fire escape for saving lives. Twenty persons were employed in the building The fire, which was caused by sparks from the sulphur furnace, started in the asbestos sulphur chute and extended through a 12-inch feed pipe into the elevator. It was discovered by an employe at 6:57 a. m., who turned in a street box alarm almost immediately. When the first apparatus arrived the blaze was spreading rapidly among the freight cars. The firemen experienced difficulty in getting at the fire by the freight cars, and there was a lack of hydrants and water. Nine Abeam engines, two trucks and one squad wagon responded. There were also present two assistant marshals and two battalion marshals. There were only available two city and two private double 2 1/2-inch hydrants, 600 feet from each other. Six streams were thrown at one time. The pressure at the hydrants was about 30 pounds, and the nozzles used were 1 1/4-inch. About 6,700 feet of cotton rubber-lined hose were laid. After a fight of 30 hours the fire was stopped 200 feet east of the freight cars.