Fire in Fall River Power House.

Fire in Fall River Power House.

In the new powerhouse of the American Thread company’s miil at Fall River, Mass., fifteen cables were run across the basement through the window and up the wall of the building to the engineroom window directly overhead, then through the latter window to the switchboard. These cables were to be used for testing purposes, and were supported on a wooden structure. As the basement window opened, burlap was used to fill in the space. An electrician was soldering a terminal on to one of the cables in order to connect it to the switchboard. He placed a lighted gasoline torch in such a way that the flame ignited the burlap and this, in turn, set fire to the insulation on the cables. The fire spread over the cables and ignited the frame of the engineroom window and scorched the adjoining windows; but it was quickly extinguished by means of a hose stream and wet brooms. The loss was small.

No posts to display