Fire in Hotel at Hibbing

Fire in Hotel at Hibbing

The Hotel Hibbing, a three-story wooden structure with a brick annex in the central part of Hibbing, Minn., was recently damaged by fire which was caused by an overheated range in the rear of the first floor. The alarm was given at 5.30 a. m. and the 65 guests escaped uninjured. Several firemen received slight injuries. The fire spread rapidly so that on the arrival of the department, commanded by Chief Charles McIllhargey, the flames had burned through the side wall of the kitchen, had reached the roof and was burning through the rooms on the second and third floors and was also burning in the dining room on the first floor. The fire also spread to the basement, burning fiercely for three hours, and at one time extended to the annex basement. The fire was fought from the inside at all times, the basement fire with basement nozzles through holes in the floor, and this proved very successful. Twenty firemen had to have medical treatment for their eyes. The apparatus in service included an American-La France combination chemical and ladder service truck, Kissel hose and chemical car, La France horse-drawn hose and chemical wagon, one hose wagon. Six hydrant streams were thrown through 2,450 feet of hose. The loss on the building was $25,000 and $8,500 on contents.

No posts to display