Fire in Hotel at Manistee
The Briny Inn Hotel at Manistee, Mich., was recently damaged by a fire caused by the overheating of a stack leading from the boilers. The hotel is a three-story brick and wooden structure occupying a space 120 by 100 feet with wooden partition walls. The fire was discovered in the evening by the hotel help who notified the fire department by telephone. Chief Thomas Scott say that the fire, while small on the surface, was between the partitions. He immediately placed seven streams on the fire, one of which was an eng ne stream. Four hydrants, with a pressure of 90 pounds, were available and gave good plug streams. Chief Scott, despite the zero weather, prevented the hotel from complete destruction and kept his men p’aying streams on the ruins until 3.30 in the morning. The chief and his men suffered from exposure to the cold. Fifteen volunteers and a Nott 600-gallon steamer were in service at the fire. The loss was $73,000 on a building, valued at $110,000, and $3,500 on contents. Deputy State Fire Marshal E. E. Winship investigated the fire and said that the building was of such faulty construction that the fire had gained considerable headway before it was discovered.