Fire in Washington, D. C.
The illustration herewith shows the fire department of the District of Columbia fighting a fire on the twelfth floor of the Hotel Willard in the city of Washington, which ruined the ball room. The magnificent hall was entirely destroyed in the early morning hours after President Harding and many other public officials, members of the Senate and House, including Vice-President Coolidge, had attended a dinner given by the Gridiron Club. The fire for a short time threatened to destroy the building but was brought under control by the fire department with only the destruction of the ball room and damage to other members of the hotel. It is thought that the fire had been started from a lighted cigarette left by one of the guests at the dinner. The damaged was estimated at $250,000.
A course of fire prevention instruction has been instituted in the public schools of Pennsylvania, largely through the efforts of the fire prevention and insurance committee of the Philadelphia chamber of commerce. Stewart A. Jellett, chairman of the committee, has received letters from state fire marshals of many states commending the course.