Fire in Wholesale Drug Store at Leavenworth

Fire in Wholesale Drug Store at Leavenworth

Fire which started in the cellar of the Axa Building, in Leavenworth, Kan., and which was caused by spontaneous combustion, gave Chief M. Bahler and the department a hard fire to fight on account of stocks of drugs, alcohol, turpentine and paint. The building was occupied as a wholesale and retail drug store. The building, 50 by 150 feet in area and constructed of brick and stone and cement, was erected nine years ago. A porter discovered the fire and an alarm was sent by telephone. Chief Bahler found the fire under good headway and promptly had five hydrant streams on the blaze. The city water system, gravity and direct pumping, furnished 135 pounds pressure at the hydrants of which five were available. Larkin and Breslin cellar pipes were used. The department had in service one KisselKar combination wagon, one White combination wagon, and one ladder truck. The fire burned four hours. Damage to building and contents amounted to over $19,000 on property valued at $85,000.

No posts to display