Fire Loss Decrease in Milwaukee
The forty-fifth annual report of the Milwaukee, Wis., fire department, and the tenth report by Chief Thomas A. Clancy as chief of the department, has been submitted by the efficient chief to the common council. It shows that during the year 1915 the department responded to 2,150 alarms of which 1,679 were actual fires. The report shows that Milwaukee has experienced large decreases in the fire loss during the past two years. The total loss in 1915 was only $487,009.90 as against $755,456.81 for 191-4 and $953,476.62 for 1913. The average loss per fire was $290. The greatest loss at any one fire occurred December 25, destroying the horse collar factory of Wallace & Smith Company with a loss of $50,357.34. The reduced number of alarms is attributed to the rigid inspection work which is constantly carried on by the members of the department under Chief Clancy. During the year two new engine houses were built at a cost of $31,720.38. The pipe lines for the fire boats were extended 870 feet, with 8-inch and 12-inch pipes, at a cost of $5,559.26. One new motor-driven combination pumping engine and hose wagon and three combination chemical and hose wagons were placed in service at a cost of $24,350. Eighteen men were added to the fire fighting force. The department was called upon to mourn the loss of five members who died from natural causes: Assistant Chief William Young and Privates James Butler, Elmer Landrum, George Poertner and Francis Torpey. Recommendations by Chief Clancy include that the department equipment be motorized without delay, and that a new headquarters be built on the site purchased some years ago, and that an engine house be erected in the southwest section of the city on a site already provided for.