Fire Prevention Bureau Adds More Men
The fire prevention bureau of Indianapolis, Ind., which was organized June 1, 1918, under the supervision of Jacob Hilkene, who ranks as second assistant chief, has added four more men to its bureau, who have been taken from actual service in the deartment. The men are: Frank Milburn, Engine Company 26; Alert Reese, Truck Company 7; George Stopp, of Hose Company 19, and Watt Alcon, Engine Company 3. This gives the bureau a total of ten men, including Mr. Hilkene, Harry Gould, secretary, and Captain Arthur Judd, who makes special inspections. The other inspectors, who have been in the bureau since its organization, are: Charles Miller, Harvey Keppel, and W. H. Torbett These men were also taken from actual duty in the department. The records show a large decrease in downtown fires, which is attributed to the rigid inspection by this bureau. Some few property owners and tenants have been arrested and fined in the city court for failure to comply with the orders the inspectors have given. The punishment in most of these cases on first offense has been $10.00 and costs. It has been the plan heretofore by the fire department to send a man out from each station, especially in the residence and manufacturing districts, and inspect all fire hazards and law violations in their respective districts. Now that the two-platoon is to go into effect January 1, 1921, this plan will be eliminated, and no inspections will be made by the firemen in actual duty.