Fire Prevention Day in New Jersey
Last Tuesday was fire-prevention day in New Jersey, and some of the larger cities observed it with special demonstrations of an educational character. Newark had a noteworthy exhibition in the city hall, which had been planned under the direction of the bureau of combustibles and fire risks. Aside from the many citizens who visited the hall, there were firemen from outside cities, including Paterson, Elizabeth and the smaller surrounding cities. The exhibition was continued on Wednesday, when a large number of school children visited it in order to learn the lessons of fire prevention so effectively taught by the display.
“This is merely a beginning,” said Captain C. Albert Gasser, head of the bureau. “We have used only oiir own materials, articles which have come to us in the line of investigation. Each exhibit lias its particular story and its cause and effect is impressed upon the minds of the inspectors. The building department has been most co-operative in showing its entire series of blank forms and cards, and the bureau of electricity is represented in its literature. We haven’t gone into the matter of approved devices for prevention of fire because this covers a large field and the time since the governor’s proclamation has been too short to do justice to this subject. If the exhibition is repeated next year we will be able to give Newark manufacturers an opportunity of showing just what is made here in the way of fireproof tanks, cans, building material and kindred articles. Our idea is to help in the general education of the public, and if the folks are interested enough to visit the board rooms we are more than interested enough to show them what is being done.”
A few “don’ts” for the prevention of fire:
Don’t throw lighted matches away without looking where you throw them.
Don’t leave rags smeared with paint and oils lying about the place.
Don’t use the old-time sulphur match; use the safety match.
Don’t throw lighted cigarettes away; extinguish them first.
Don’t put kerosene oil on a dull fire.
Don’t use stove polish that contains benzine or gasoline.
1 he above are a few of the “Don’t” signs displayed at the exhibition in the quarters in the city hall. The exhibit came as the aftermath of a proclamation of the governor making November 11 “fire-prevention day.” As you entered the department headquarters you were greeted by one of the officials of the bureau of combustibles, who guided you to the various articles of interest displayed. The five guides were James L. Jenkinson, Martin J. Koppe, Thomas Gunning, Thomas Fagen and Frederick Herzig, assistants to Inspector of Combustibles and Fire Risks C. Albert Gasser.
Newark is one of two cities in the State that maintain this bureau, the other being Jersey City, where there is but one man assigned to that department, while Newark has six who devote all of their time in the prevention of fires and teaching the manufacturers how to prevent them in their factories. All of the men are experts. The exhibit included different things picked up by the men at different fires they have attended, fireworks that are tabooed in Newark, spontaneous combustion materials found in different factories and garages, cartridges and powder, etc. Each exhibit was labeled and an explanation of its use and misuses attached, making everything plain to the interested parties. One of the most interesting exhibits was that showing a thin wooden partition between two offices or rooms, with a stovepipe running through the partition. There are two models, one showing the wrong way to run the pipe through the partition. and the other the proper way of doing so. Application blanks that are filled out by every manufacturer and garage in Newark are’ on exhibition. showing that the department knows at all times just what a building or factory contains and where it is stored. This is very valuable to the firemen for information as to where to fight a fire when one is discovered in a factory. Pictures of big fires that have taken place in Newark are shown, while fires of incendiary origin are also on view.
Lanesboro. Mass., is taking steps to install a water system. A special investigating committee now has the matter under consideration.