Fire Protection in China.
Consul General S. S. Knabenshue, at Tientsin, writes: “Attention has recently been sharply called to the need of fire protection in Tientsin. A large fire has occurred which was started from a cigarette in the hands of a coolie cleaning cotton in a yard of a warehouse. The cotton flashed into flame, and the fire reached the warehouse, which was entirely destroyed with its contents. Later a similar fire occurred, probably due to the same cause. Unfortunately, a gale was blowing from the north, and shreds of burning cotton were carried by it to the premises of three other large firms. In each case a yard full of cotton was destroyed, together with a number of buildings, the entire stock of a lumber yard, and several thousand bales of wool which had been stored ip thq open. During the winter and spring very little rain falls as a rule, and it is customary to store wool and cotton and similar products on open ground, protected only by bamboo matting. Had each business warehouse been furnished with a light chemical engine or with a sufficient supply of first-class extinguishers, it is probable these fires would have been extinguished quickly.”